custom shock towers for rancho 9012's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 12:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

custom shock towers for rancho 9012\'s

i am looking for some ideas on how to build custom shock towers for rancho 9012's. has anyone done this? and whats the best why to go about this?
keith

you can lead people to the truth, but you cant make them understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 08:58 AM

Re: custom shock towers for rancho 9012\'s

March on down to your local Ford dealer and get some shock towers for an '85 F-350...they're about $10-15 apiece. Part number is E5TZ-18183-A and they're about 4" taller than the stock tall shock mounts.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 09:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have an i wish i had a digital camera so i could run out and take some pic's. in the front i used 2x3 rectangular pipe. i notched the bottom so that it sits on top of the frame but one of the 3" sides remains and itrund down the side of the frame. then i capped the top and welded a little cheap weld on shock mount bracket to the top. in the rear i used 2x2 square tube and did the same thing but they run up through the floor and into the cargo area of my jeep.
this doesn't bother me but if it does you then get a shorter shock for the back and mount them at angles. you can do this by making a cross member that has to stud type mounts in the center of it. then mount the shock mounts on the axle near the spring perches and the shocks will be at an angle. remember that in the front mount them inline with the axle or you'll have probelms with the shock body being rubbed by the tire at full compression. ask me how i know. i had to redo mine. there will be some measurements and such but you will have to figure that out based on your jeeps setup, flex, etc.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

wow jeepskate i havn't heard of someone using those on a jeep. i had a 93 4x4 f250 that had (i bet) the same mounts you are talking about. when i noticed them i thought that they would be great for a jeep conversion. they are bolt on and nice and tall. does this sound they same as the 85 version? this is just so funny because like i said i thought they looked like a good mount for a jeep but hadn't heard of anyone useing them.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 09:20 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I think those Ford shock mounts are the ones people are using on Toyota's too...

Here is what I did on my Toyota and a friend's Toyota using Rancho 9012's - both of these could easily be applied to ANY vehicle though [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I used $10 worth of 1" solid rod and bent my own hoops with a brace in the back - took about an hour to do both with a torch to heat and bend them...

See whe whole page on these shock towers at http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota/shock_hoops.htm

Here are some a friend made that look super cool, are adjustable for a variety of shock heights, and work vert well...

See the whole page on these shock mounts at http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota/c...ock_towers.htm

I hope this helps [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepskate's right. H8monday has the F350 shock mounts on his YJ. I saw them last month when we were both on the Dusy Trail.
Very clean looking and at about $12 each you can't beat the price.

Gary
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 12:27 PM

Should be the same item. The '85 F-350 is just what a parts counter guy supplied along with the part number, but I know folks have been plucking them off of junkyard F-250's as well for at least a couple of years.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I pulled a set from a junkyard 84? F350 and they are exactly the same as the ones on my '97 F250. Like Jeepskate said, using the supplied year and part number just makes it easier on you at the parts counter if you buy new ones.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:28 PM

Here ya go....Rick just did a writeup on the F250/350 shock towers:

http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/jeep/.../cj_shock_ext/

'79 CJ-7
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 03:00 PM

DRM,
Those are nice looking shock towers.

Yes I used the Ford towers you cant go wrong with them(unless you can do the same kinda fabrication that Dave(DRM) did with his). They are the same on F250 and F350, I ordered mine as 89 F250 shock towers. They cost $9.89 each(I couldnt believe how cheap they were, the junk yard wanted $35 each). I only cut away enough of the stock mount to fit the Ford peice in to it and then welded the 2 together (using the stock unit as a wrap around gusset, basicly). It works great. I raised the top of my shocks(R9012) about 3" from the original location and it gives me an almost perfect split of up/down proportion, it increased my wheel travel from 18" to about 22" up and down.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode