Which Welder - IT'S DONE!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which Welder - IT\'S DONE!!

There are some topics in this world and a few topics in the 4x4 world that I know a bit about. When asked I give my thoughts and experiences.

When there are things I do not know about, I ask, admit my lack of knowledge and ask for help. I did that with this when considering a welder. Closest thing I have ever done to welding is mixing water and flour to make wall paper paste.

You guys came through again. In addition to the responses on this site I have gotten personal e-mails and have talked on the phone with interested parties. Thanks to all.

It's a done deal. I bought a Hobart 175 Handler. For $587.90 I have the following being delivered to my door.
1) Hobart Handler 175
2) Jackson Shadow 4.5"x5.25" helmet with at least one filter plate and maybe two.
3) 10 lb roll of wire without flux
4) pair of genuine leather welder gloves
5) the stuff that comes with the HH175 - another roll of wire etc.

They had a genuine welder extension cord - 25 feet - for a bit over $90. I respectively declined. Went to Home Depot and now have 30 feet of 10/3 extension (had to put it together myself) for a bit less than $50.

Oddly enough the welder itself is coming out of a Houston depot where it would have cost me a bit over $700 plus tax had I gone there to buy it.

Thanks to your help when I talked to the "knowledgeable" sales person where I got the welder for $529, and he explained to me that the welder gun would handle all wire, all sizes and all conditions, I was able to say, "Hummmm, what about running too small a wire in the gun and having it kink up and not feed????" "Wait a minute. Let me check on that." Me, "Hang on just a second. Find out too about running aluminum wire in a liner formerly used for steel." Him, "Well, uh, uh, ok, hang on just a second." .....second...... "Yes, sir, we do offer a Teflon liner for that gun. It is designed specifically for aluminum. Oh, those welder's gloves you wanted?? How 'bout if I throw those in for free??? and we can get that welder to you day after tomorrow too, if you like."

Thanks guys, it's been fun. In the next few days start looking for "how do I weld" questions on this BBS. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:12 PM
FlMudCJ

Re: Which Welder - IT\'S DONE!!

do a search on my past posts for 'welder - pt 2' or variations thereon, there was alot of good information for you to start reading...

And from a novice that's just started myself, when helping tiein Alec78CJ's rollcage to the frame, I laid a perfect bead... I dunno how I did it, but I came close to repeating it, so just get some scrap and give 'em the sledge test... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] weld something together and then hit it with the sledge... Its very rewarding. If it breaks, you already got your agression out, if it held, its even more rewarding [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:07 PM

Right on Doug,
I have a Hobart Handeler 135, and I love it.
I would like to have the 175, but i move to often and dont always have a good 220 source at the rentals I rent.
I have a message I need to e mail you soon also, about your inquirey.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

H8monday, mail it. I haven't been waiting but a month or two [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Just yanking your chain. Will be looking for it.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, and for your info that IS NOT a "sledge". It is a "BFH" or an "all purpose Jeep tool." Depends on your perspective. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:09 PM

My first attempts at building swing away tire racks was embarrasing. I used to pull my tires off when I would drag them through a deep gulley. Every one that I wheeled with in Reno thought it was funny, so the first thing we would go through would be a deep ravine at the start of all of our wheelin trips. Then the rest of the trip my spare would be strapped to the roof,( verrry, verry funny). Then one day I dragged the old spare through the ravine like a plow through a field, and it held on like , well,...like it was welded. Then I redesigned my whole set up to sit the spare in the tub, about a week later(go figure).
Doug your gonna love the freedom you have with your designs by being able to weld. And the engineering mentality you already have through building one off designs without a welder, will just make your future designs that much easier and well thought out. It really is great.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I could kick myself for waiting so long to start welding. The welding cost on the "swing up" tire carrier alone would have paid over a quarter of the cost of my new welder.

I'm really looking forward to the welding deal. Can't wait to weld a Mack truck to my back bumper or weld all the doors shut on a local high school or something. Someone posted something about welding bottle caps together ---- I think bigger!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

When I was in the household moving business - a United Van Lines Owner/Operator for a few years, as well as other van lines, I heard a story that was supposed to be true. The mark of professionalism amongst the real "bed-buggers" is how much stuff they can get into the least amount of space - kinda the opposite of me thinking about welding a Mack truck to my back bumper.

Anyway a group of bed buggers was holed up in a motel for a few days or someone's apartment house. They were drinking and being a bit loud around the swimming pool. Keep in mind this was a regular bed bugger hangout. Guess they were pushing the line a bit too much. They were told to leave. As a parting gesture they disasembled everything in their apartment or room (whichever) and packed it very neatly and nicely into a closet. The room/apt was completely empty when they finished.

Don't know quite why I thought of that particular story at this time. Anyway there it is.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 06:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Ha! Bed buggers.....I like that. Jeepchick and I are considering having a pro move us this coming November. We have a multi-level house and a lot of heavy stuff. I remember remarking to JPCK when I moved myself in after we got married: "I hope I never work that hard again." At least, Doug, you are six-foot-six. I'm a small block compared to your 454 stature. About welding......there are lots of little tricks to making things stay together, and one of them is getting rid of stresses. When you weld a pad against the side of a frame, for example....you would not weld all around, but would leave the ends open so the piece could "work" the stress out. If you weld all around it can often just pop out that little square of frame. It also sometimes makes a difference which way the weld goes. And you do know NOT to weld crosswise on the flange of a channel-type frame rail; right?
Let's say you wanted to weld a bracket on the deck of your heavy steel Patton tank; and let's say you would not feel that you could just butt the piece of 1/4" X 1-1/2" flat bar and weld it that way; you wanted more weld surface. So you bent the flat bar 90 degrees so you had three inches of bar that laid flat on the deck of the tank. So now you welded the crap out of it, all the way around. BAD IDEA! You should have only welded the sides, leaving the end open and the part under the 90 degree bend open so the piece could de-stress. Lesson # 36 on low-stress welding.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's amazing. I would have never thought of the stress stuff. More weld = stronger, ain't necessarily so, I guess. Thanks.

About your move. If you intend to hire done, will be happy to give you some insite there too. There's some "low-stress" info in the moving industry too, and that's a subject I DO know.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode