Took the "new" CJ out for the 1st time... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Took the \"new\" CJ out for the 1st time...

Well I finally got my CJ done enough to drive. Well done enough to drive in the driveway anyway. I have a few questions about it though. First of all let me say that I am running a 350 chevy and a th350 auto tranny. How much fluid does this tranny take? I have 6 quarts in it right now plus one quart that I put in the tourque convertor when I installed it. The problem I have is that when the Jeep is running and I try to check the fluid, it barely shows up on the dipstick. Is this right, or do I need a lot more fluid. Also another tranny problem, it wouldn't shift out of first gear. I thought I was going fast enough for it to shift, but it wasn't. I do not have the vacum line hooked up yet, is that what makes it shift? If I hook vacum up and it still doesn't shift then what? Other than that it ran really good, and the power seems pretty good. It is extremely loud though, I'm thinking of adding a crossover tube to the exhaust. Thanks in advance for the help
Dan
Oh and one more thing, where can I get steel not aluminum shims for my front axle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Took the \"new\" CJ out for the 1st time...

It's been a while since I messed with a turbo 350, so what I have to say may not be accurate. I believe that you have to have the vacuum hooked up for it to shift automatically. I ran a T350 behind a blown small block (meaning a blower on it) and never hooked up the vacuum modulator. Had to shift manually using D1, D2 and Drive. Give that a try and see what happens. It sounds like your tranny fluid may be low from what your dipstick is telling you. I can't remember the capacity of the T350 (which could depend on what pan you have on it). Try and call Rubicon Express for the steel shims. I bought mine from them for my '75 which I had to cut down to the right width.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hi dan,warm your transmission up and then check you dip stick,hoping that you have the stock one for that transmission.it does sound like you are low on fluid.on steel shims,any alignment shop should carry them.hope this helps,ranger rick-88 sami

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Reminder.. not sure if you did it or not you must check it in Neutral... this may change the reading?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan, a TH350 that has just been rebuilt and has no fluid in it will hold 10-12+ quarts depending on the pan and converter. The fluid should be checked warm with the engine running in PARK. When you fill the trans for the first time it will only take 5-6qts, then you need to start the engine and add the rest. Also, the vacuum line does need to be connected for the trans to shift properly and at the right speed.

Marc

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Marc is right, Torqueflites are the only ones you check in neutral. Incedentally...you should also START tourqueflites in neutral (or shift to neutral as soon as you start them). They dont have a pump circuit in park. (Yes I know what I'm talking about, learned that one at Wyoming Tech...thought I knew everthing about MoPars untill I learned that one!)

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 09:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the help, one more question though...My tranny engages in gear quite rough. I mean when I go from park to reverse or drive, you can really tell. Like as soon as I put it in gear the Jeep wants to take off. I have a stock tourque convertor in it by the way. It just seems like it is a little rough. The tranny is not rebuilt, and I have no idea the mileage or anything. Also because it hasn't been completely torn apart is there some fluid that will remain in the tranny and not get drained out when you change it? I ran it for a very short time and then changed the fluid because who knows what was in it before I got it. Is there anything else I should do to it before I use it? Do the governor or vacum thing usually go bad? Thanks
Dan

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Smokngun:
Thanks for the info. ..thats an interesting fact I didn't know.
Dcmsu:
Yeah, there is some fluid that stays in the tranny, particularly in the convertor if it wasn't drained. The rough engagement may may just be the nature of the th350. I know my th400 engages from park rather rough. I assume you did change out the filter when you drained it...just making sure [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. BTW, if you dont have a convenient drain plug on the pan, a tip my tranny guy told me about is to disconnect the trans. return hose from the radiator, crank the engine and let it pump out fluid until it starts to sputter. Cut it off and then drop your pan. Of course you still have some fluid in there but not that massive downpour of all of the fluid.
Shain

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan, your trans may have a rough engagement if your ldle speed is too high. It should probably be somewhere between 600-750 with a small block. Yes, vacuum modulators can go bad often. Usually when they're bad, ATF will drip out when you pull off the vacuum line. There are differnt sizes too. Smaller diameter modulators generally give a firmer/later shift and bigger ones are usually shoft and mushy. Some are adjustable like the B&M ones. Pull off the vacuum line, stick a small flatblade screwdriver inside and turn clockwise a couple turns to make the shift firmer and counter-clockwise to soften it up. Governors deal mostly with shift timing on a TH350. Keep in mind that things like tire size, gear ratio, weight, tourqe converters, camshafts, and even your manifold vacuum source can have an effect on the shifts. I hope this helps.

Marc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode