Which magazine is best? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which magazine is best?

All of this talk about saving old magazines brings up another question. Which magazine is best to subscibe to for Jeeps? I have picked up several different issues of Four Wheeler, Jp, and others, but have never subscribed to any of them. I would like to subscribe to one of them, but have not decided which one to go with. So which do you guys and gals recommend?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, just an honest question. I appreciate any input.

Thanks. Turtle

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which magazine is best?

I personally like JP best just because it's specific to what we are building and even if the articles are about newer jeeps if something were to happen to my present jeep thats what I would be buying.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 04:12 PM
Way Outta Control

I agree, JP is the best of the lot... I do like 4Wheel Drive and Sport Utility. Petersen's Publcation's seem to gobbeling up the 4WDrive publicaitons. I'd like to see a little more diversity in ownership.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In my experience, all of the writing and editing is terrible, even if the tech is good. THis applies to all of the truck magazines, the publishers think that the audience could care less about proper English and sentence structure.

However, this does not keep me from reading them, they are very interesting.

Off-Road: Shows a LOT of chromed show trucks. Very few usable, cheap modifications. If your paint doesn't sparkle, you won't be in this one. Also, they seemed to be owned by 4wheel Parts Wholesalers.

4 Wheel and Off-Road: Very good, cheap modifications available for all types of trucks and Jeeps. Also they have very cool theme issues. They also seemed to be owned by a shop, Off-Road Unlimited. It apperas that any truck with more than one axle can get into the Reader's Rides section. Most of their feature stuff is from California though. And the cover falls off of it as soon as it arrives in the mail.

JP: 4Wheel and Off-Road for Jeeps. I really like this one for the tech. They seem to not be attached to any particular shop.

4Wheel Drive and Sport utility: Beautiful photographs and fair writing. Most of their tech is ARB stuff, but it is thorough. They show a lot of Australian trucks and Toyotas. They seem to not know what mud is.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Just
Expect
Every
Problem
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 04:16 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I subscribe to them all [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

OffRoad, FOURWHEELER, 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility, Petersons 4 Wheel Drive, and Jp...

I found an online magazine subscription house (based here locally to me - even better!) and I paid $56 to have all of these sent to me for a full year. Heck of a deal, and no more getting robbed at the bookstore paying $4 a pop [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 04:22 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Ed - that has to be the best summary of the available 4x4 mags I have EVER seen - way to lay it all out for us to see [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have subscriptions to 4wheel and offroad and fourwheeler. i'd like to get one to jp too but havn't yet. i think that it depens on which month you get as to wheather or not it is a good magazine. some issues are dry and really don't have much that sparks an interest in me and then the next month can be packed with usefull info that i will go back and read over and over.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:47 PM

I like JP, it all Jeep. The only thing is I wish it came out once a month.

Happy Trails
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:55 PM

I like JP and $WD and Sport Utility the best, although Petersons has some good articles now and then.
You can look to any of them to occasionaly give you some good maintenace tips. But all youll get from any of them as far as good do it your self swaps, or modifications is window dressing. They all tip toe lightly around anything that may take a buck away from the big advertisers. I have yet to see a good thorough article on a spring over conversion from any of them, but they will all go on and on about off the shelf kits. You just have to realize that they are all just a big show case for the advertisers products.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 06:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I subscribe to Petersen's 4WD. I like it a lot. Four Wheeler is good too, I just haven't subscribed yet. JP just seems like a constant commercial. New... buy buy buy......

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode