Engine dies after bad bump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Engine dies after bad bump

Alright- I took the Postal Jeep off-road last weekend. Nothing more than some mildly flooded trails and a fender-deep creek crossing. The only problem is that when I hit a really bad bump, like a rut or a root ledge, the engine dies! It is also very hard to get started when the front end is considerably higher than the rear. I've rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump. Is it the float in the float-bowl needing to be lowered? I though that might be it but I still have to pump the gas to get it started again at an angle, and if the float was too high wouldn't there be too much gas getting down the carb, flooding it out? Also- my ignition module seems to "melt down" when the Jeep sits (or drives) at idle. I can drive 40 miles at 60-70 the whole way and idle around for maybe 10 minutes and the Jeep gurgles and dies. I check under the hood and the module is smoking and what looks like brown epoxy is oozing out of it down the firewall. Would this be a condition of electrical resistance creating heat, or the proximity of the engine (the valve cover is only a few inches away)? Also- I drove down some nasty wash-board roads to get there, and that didn't bother it at all (bothered my spine a bit though!)

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 04:26 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Engine dies after bad bump

1. The module is dying... bleeding to death, replace it.
2. Check all your grounds:

engine to frame.
Frame to tub.
Battery to engine.
Make sure the engine module is grounded to the fender and the fender is grounded.

Make sure the grounds are all in excellent shape.

That's a starting point.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine dies after bad bump

I had the same problem with my module. Check all of your grounds, then check coil polarity. I thought I had mine right, but I was wrong. Killed two modules, leaving a big epoxy pile in the garge.

Ed

Just
Expect
Every
Problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode