Mig Welding Aluminum - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mig Welding Aluminum

As long as we are on the subject of welding, what do I need to get to weld aluminum? Any special safety precautions?

I have a MM challenger, 172

1. Do I need a spool gun or could I buy another gun and get a teflon liner put in it

2. What type of shielding gas do I need

3. What type of welding can I do. i.e. is it reasonable to want to weld structural type things (i.e. a bike frame) or would I need to go TIG for that?

Any other info appreciated. Thanks

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Mig Welding Aluminum

I'm pretty sure you need straight argon.If they make a teflon liner for your gun, go for it,it should work.I know the twekos guns have less of a curve in them and you can get teflon liners for them.The price is the only thing keeping me from doing it.Round here the twekos are close to $200.00 but it's been awhile since I priced them too.I cant count the tips I ruined trying it with a regular liner,much less the aluminumI wasted.POW!! there goes another 10ft!!!Ready?? POW!! there goes another 10ft.....got real old... good luck!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need straight argon for aluminium welding (TIG).
Another option is welding w/ low temp alumimium welding rods that melt w/ a propane torch. Haven't used them myself but at cars shows/fairs, they seem to work very well and make strong welds. I've seen the welds be drilled and tapped w/o problems. Just an easier idea . . . JC Whitney has them for under $10 for 9 welding rods and $5 for 4 rods.
Good luck.
-Drew M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, I'm gonna answer your question. Keep in mind my first welder is still inroute to my house, and the closest I have come to actually welding anything is mixing flour and water for wall paper paste.

The last week or so of researching the welding arena has produced some valuable info, a piece of which I will share with you.

The Hobart web site (Hobart and Miller are made on assembly lines just a few feet apart) has a Q&A section where people ask questions that are mostly answered by the gurus at the MM/HH facility, and from what I was able to see they had a few NON MM/HH "CJDaves" on the board too. Seemed like a good place for your type of questions. In fact you can go back through some of the Q&A's and find pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

When I mentioned CJDave, I meant that there seemed to be non employees with lots of knowledge on the subject matter as well as the employees. Also, and this is just an observation, NOT a criticism of that board or this board, there did not seem to be any off topic stuff at all.

Site is:
http://www.hobartwelders.com/talk/

Check it out. I think you will like it.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Two suggestions!

1) Surface prep!!!! Make sure you have the joints as clean as possible, Aluminum is very picky about contaminants. Acid etching works best.

2) If you are welding with AC, make sure you remove your digital watch, I learned this one the hard way.

Have fun!

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, rotten floorboards, cheesy aluminum tub overlay, you get the idea....

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode