aluminum radiators - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

aluminum radiators

does anyone know anything about them? pros and cons. i know a little about them but i'm just trying to learn alittle more. will i see a difference in cooling from my 4core radiator?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: aluminum radiators

You might want to consider getting a Griffin catalog. They try to answer this question, in general terms. The theory is that aluminum transfers heat at about twice the rate of copper/brass. But, in the real world, you cannot get twice the cooling, because of other factors like oxidation on the aluminum, etc. Bottom line, though, is that you can get more coolong with aluminum. In my case, the aluminum radiator, with 350, in CJ-7, is about the best thing I have done for cooling. Negative..... you can't fix it as easy.... I consider it almost a 'throwaway'. And, the cost was like for a throwaway. I figured that if it lasted for a couple of years, I would have learned what I wanted to learn. And, now I am going on about 5 years.

bobH
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

did you get the rad made specifically for a jeep? i have seen griffin rad's in summit for $181 that have no brackets and i have thought of getting one of those and making my own brackets. this sure beats the $500-$600 for one that is built to bolt into a jeep.. does griffin use epoxy to attach the tubes to the tanks? i know that i have read that some manufacturers do and that that is no good for off roading. they say the epoxy will break away due to the boy flex that a vehicle will see off road.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:17 PM
Old Hand

Griffin's are built right - no epoxy. The tanks are boxed for strength.

You can order one factory direct with L brackets that require you to drill four holes near your old radiator mount holes to install...piece of cake.

You can also order them that have been tested but the fins are bent or the hose necks are turned a little from the design for about half. I bought a four core for less than $100 and it has been working great for 5 months now on a Vortec V6 in a YJ...with no shroud and engine driven fan.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought the 'nascar'-type, universal, picked a size to fit the stock jeep opening. It is probably the same as what you are describing out of the Summit catalog. (If you want, I can get the size and part number I used.) Griffin directed me away from 'factory-direct', to get (what was then) a better price. After checking with some of the catalog sources that Griffin referred me to, I bought from Jegs. It was about 175, a few years ago. I got the 'cheaper', lighter-duty version, 2-tube, with the smaller (1-inch) tubes. They also had 1.25-inch tubes. I could have spent a lot more, for one that was made to fit. As it is, I had to make my own brackets. I designed/built brackets that are of the GM-clamp-in-type, and they attach to the stock radiator mounting holes in the stock jeep grille. I put enough flex in the brackets that there is no way that off-road-jeep-flex can be transmitted to the radiator. I do not have any fasteners that actually go through any of the Griffin radiator hardware (it's strictly a 'clamp' (top-to-bottom) arrangement). The radiator is cross-flow, listed for Chevy applications, with correct hose outlet/inlet for my engine.
I can not see any epoxy in the construction. I can not see the method used to seal the tubes to the headers. The headers and tanks, and filler-neck, are all beautifully heli-arced together, to the quality seen on nascar cars and street-rods.

bobH
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 11:18 PM

Where is a good place to get one that has been damaged? ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode