continous hold solenoid part #?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

continous hold solenoid part #??

Getting ready to start my dual battery setup and called napa for a solenoid. The part number was st551, rated at 85 amps and was 57.97. What part number has everybody used to get one? I would like to get a higher amperage one if possible. ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: continous hold solenoid part #??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think FarmJeep bought one not very long ago, and he should have that number for you.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

"I just walked in and bought one at Napa when I did several of these systems several years ago. The solenoid is listed in the same book as the regular ones, and is just a solenoid with a low-draw coil. I'm on the phone to the NAPA guy right now. The part number is ECHLIN ST-85. It is listed as CONTINUOUS DUTY solenoid and sells for 34.95."

This is a direct quote from Mr. CJDave's e-mail to me when I had this question. I went to SuperTrak and bought the same thing for $21.00

The jeep is up and runnin...damn...work work fix..the jeep is...damn...work work fix...the jee...damn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hi ken,i just install my dual battery set from NAPA,its a self contained until rated for 85amps,but will take surges up to 500 amp.it is marine grade so water proof,ect.it is sent to be wired with 10 gauge stuff,although they recommend 8 gauge.i used 6 gauge wire .nice set up.if you want more info let me know and i will find the numbers for you.hope this helps.ranger rick-88sami

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will give them a call tomorrow. I thought 58 bucks was a lot and wasn't sure. I checked with wrangler products website (i think it was wranglers), I can get a 200 amp for under fifty.
Hey ranger rick is that the same solenoid as the one I got a quote on? It was rated at 85 amps too.
I will be installing it this weekend. The one problem I do have is finding a shop to crimp some ends on. I can't solder at ALL. If anybody has some good closeup photos of everything together send them to me so i can get some ideas. Thanks later ken

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Ken.....get all of your lengths and the terminal bolts sizes listed and go to a welding supply store. They will have wire and the crimp-on ends.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Okay I picked up the solenoid and its rated at 85amps. I plan on having a alternator over 100amps. Is this solenoid going to do the job at 85amps? Or should I get one for over a 100? Later ken

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You'll be fine with that solenoid. Just be sure you have a good ground wire to thatalternator case, and that all the heavy-current carrying wires are big cables with very good terminals that are not a real big hole compared to the stud in the solenoid......stuff like that.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode