That good ol' gas smell.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

That good ol\' gas smell..

Well...the gas smell is back. I recieved some insight from several folks and thought the suggestions worked. However something is different this time.

When I open the tank to check it out, vapor rushes out of the tank instead of in? Someone asked me that before. What is up now??

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:08 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: That good ol\' gas smell..

You have lost your "vent" to your tank. The gas is pressurizing when you shake it up (or it gets hot). The gas is expanding but has no where to go. Check your vent tube, and/or replace you gas cap. Make sure you buy a vented cap.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Hmmmmm.....one of my little moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] seems to think that you should have a two-pipe vent system off the tank with a rollover valve setup which is then connected to the cannister in the front by one hose. Perhaps you aren't automatically purging the cannister like you are supposed to with engine vacuum, and the fumes are building up with "no place to go".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast

You need to fix this soon. I had this problem in a Dodge Caravan with the 2.6L Mitsu engine. I went to start it one morning and had hydralic lock; the tank preasurized and vented out the fuel line. This filled the intake with gas that drained into the crankcase. It was no fun doing an oil change when 1/2 the oil coming out is gas. I fixed it by venting the gas cap.

Karl

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 06:15 PM

Hank, I have an 88YJ also and most of the time the tank has preasure when I remove the gas cap. I though it was normal. Now I wonder if this is normal?

Happy Trails
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:23 PM

To all, a certain amount of presuure build up is normal, but anything over about 3 or four pounds is too much for a carburated engine. on the other hand, many of the modern multi-port injected rigs can sustain much more pressure in the tank without a problem (assuming that the tank is vented properly). Hank, i believe that on the vortecs they do run a purge solenoid to help relieve some of this pressure. ensure that your's is hooked up properly and is functioning correctly.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Oh Gees...a purge solenoid!? Where would that be??

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 88 YJ has no purge solenoid, the check valves are on the top of the plastic tank, and up inside the right rear fender on the steel 15 gallon tank. One of the valves are plugged, of the hose is pinched. There is not supposed to be any pressure in the tank. The vent lines are free flowing into the charcoal cannister, the charcoal absorbs the fuel vapors, the air vents to the atmosphere through the bowl vent hose. When the engine is running, the ported vacuum signal opens the vacuum port in the cannister, allowing the trapped fuel to be drawn into the PCV line to be burned. The gas cap should only allow air to enter into the tank, and hold pressure to at least 1.5 PSI.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode