onboard air question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

onboard air question

I know there have been a million threads on this but I was wondering if you can keep your factory a/c and have onboard air? If so how hard would it be?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue> Boldly going where no jeep has gone before!!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: onboard air question

Yep you can keep what you have. Your Sanden will produce as much air as a York and it is far lighter and smaller. IMO, a York would be one of the least desirable compressors to use.

Email me if you want me to send you some info on using the Sanden compressor and how to plumb the hoses.

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry should have phrase that better....didnt have my coffee just yet. What I meant was can you have both onboard air and a/c or do I have to decide one or the other? It's hot as hell in Miami, Fl and living without a/c is tough...but having onboard air would be sweet. Thanx again!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue> Boldly going where no jeep has gone before!!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe that Brad Kilby makes a bracket which adds the York compressor right next to your existing compressor on the YJ. Makes it possible to have A/C and compressed air. Check http://www.onboardair.com for more info.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

why not just get an electric if you want to keep your a/c?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

from what Ive heard..electric takes forver and a day to fill anything up....has anyone had any experiences other them? (electric)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

with the electric compressors you get what you pay for. check the "ready air" compressors. from what i have read they make a good product.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, Brad Kilby makes brackets that will allow you to mount another compressor along with your AC.

Like someone else mentioned, he has brackets to mont Yorks but recently he was working on brackets that would allow you to mount a Sanden.

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 12:56 PM

Yep,the electric air compressors are slow, it takes me about 20 minutes air backup.

Happy Trails
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 12:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We have looked at this possibility over and over....having air conditioning AND on-board air on the same engine.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The easiest way to do it would be set up the York on the engine for your On-Board Air, and then satellite-drive the Sanden off the second pulley of the York. The Sanden will cling to the side of the Yorkie real nice with some simple brackets. The York spins as an idler when you aren't pumping up those big tires for everybody, and a 10 cubic inch York will get some air out there if you flip your hi-idle solenoid on. I'm a real fan of Yorks, having used lots of them on equipment just for auxillary air.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You can get a 10 inch York from Acemek right near you in NC.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]I'm pretty sure he had one left over from his latest Jeep project.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]You could have him send it to you FED EX, that way if it got stolen you would know who has it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode