welded in-frame nut un-welded - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

welded in-frame nut un-welded

I'm sure we've all experienced this one.

In looking to replace the factory front shackle hangers, one of the nuts (rear shackle hanger/steering box) inside the frame has un-welded, so I can't get the bolt out. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
canis

canis
Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: welded in-frame nut un-welded

I have replaced them by taking off the front bumper and punching the old nut assembly out. Then put a grade 8
bolt in the hole and put it back together. If you don't want the bolt to turn when you put the nut on you can weld it in there or weld something to the head of the bolt to cause interferance so the head doesn't turn.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I personnaly havent tried this,but I think it would work.Drill a small hole right beside the bolt and either stick smaller bolt in the hole or weld it.That should keep the nut from turning.The heat from a weld would loosen the grip on the bolt also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:21 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep, this is common. I torched out a small section of the frame so I can get a wrench in there and get at the nut.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 04:32 PM

I punched out the captive nut, drilled the hole thru the top frame rail also, then got 4.5 inch ( think 4.5 inch0) grade 8 bolts down thru the top to stick out the bottom like studs. put some sleexes (small pipe from lowes) inside so the frame doesnt compress
weld the tops ( carefully isolate the heat so you dont soften them too much!)
hold hte tops with a wrecnh when you tighten the down so you can really load em up good without breaking the welds
I did this to the entire front driverside on mine ( steering box mounts) some previous owner jerky welded the box brackets to the frame -crossmember-bolts were all wedled on, it was a real work of "ART"

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had this same thing happen to my 1981 CJ-5. I pulled the front bumper off and got to the nut with a box end wrench. Used grade 8 nut/bolt to finnish the job. You could cut the bolts off and drill out the hole and finnish the same way.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode