Keeping "Old" magazines - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Keeping \"Old\" magazines

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There was quite a thread on this not long ago, and instead of adding to it I'm posting anew. Because I will be moving TWICE in the next 14 months, the subject of old magazines came up in our happy home. Jeepchick likes to live a very stripped-down life. Like when we married in '96, there wasn't ANYTHING in her four-spot garage except her electric chainsaw. So in order to not tread on her sensibilities, and make it easier to move, what I've done is this: I have about five loose-leaf binders, and they are divided into categories like drivetrains, bodies, electrical, axles, and engines. As soon as I am done reading a mag, I slit out the parts which are pertinent to OUR project; and maybe some ancillary stuff if it is in any way related or just plain interesting; and I punch them and pop them into the loose-leaf binders. Believe me, it is a lot easier to go to those then try to find it in a back issue, and if the binders get too full, well, there's always a BIGGER binder.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Keeping \"Old\" magazines

You are WAY too organized CJDave. I am worried about your health. Go see a doctor now. Maybe an MRI would reveal the source of this organizational thinking. It could be serious. And you sure don't want it to spread.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:52 AM
Way Outta Control

Knowledge is power. I'm not a packrat, but I do keep all my 4X4 issues... They don't take up a lot of room in the den, but have saved me time and effort countless times. I keep a database of the articles on disk. When I need something... run a simple querry and I have my answer in seconds. IF the article has to go the garage... well, then I scan it... and the original is put back on the shelf for future refrence. One of these days I'm going to get around to scanning all the CJ/YJ related articles... then and only then will I dump the hardcopies.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I whould say ....like a typical german.....
and to be onest I am more like an american in those things!
And now we know why You can answer our posts that quick.
Great!
All the best from Your German BBS friend.
Andreas

a german jeeper in germany
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:58 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Dave, the only problem with that method is that somewhere along the line you may decide to go a different route - like start building a Toyota, or a Chevy Luv for that matter... Then all of youre specific articles are useless [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I hadn't owned a Jeep in over 2 years (until last month), but I still subscribe to Jp magazine for the exact reason I mentioned above - you never know [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:10 PM

CJ Dave,
I also have to pack as lightly as possible, due to my moving so frequently(2 times in 14 month is status quoe). So I use the same method I cut out all the important stuff place it in binders and file it. Like DRM stated I do lose some things, but its easier than losing all of it when I get tired of moving so many mags and just throw them away. I also save the articles on other vehicles, I never know where Ill get my next modificational inspiration. I have been scouring all my old literature lately for 1/4 eliptical designs, and Im starting to get a good picture of what works and what will work for me.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Speaking of Toyotas.....did you see that recent episode of "Real TV" where the guy GENTLY rolled a white early model Land Cruiser and when it came up from the first roll it was level with the dashboard. It proceeded to roll about three more times much harder and the tub just laid down. I also saw another photo of a Jeep recently that had come off the frame in a mishap. Rusty body mounts strike again. If I ever spend time on a Chevy Luv, I hope Jeepchick recognizes the obvious mental illness and does something about it before it goes too far. Little pickups......I just can't see it. But hey.....everybody's gotta be POCO LOCO about something, huh??[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That's what Jeepchick says. Like all my stuff is in identical, numbered, boxes on my garage shelves, and my master list tells me, for example, where the CJ Kilometer speedometer head is that I am sending to our German buddy AGL.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You're right about the Germans. Like the submarine commanders were still writing down the serial numbers of the torpedos they fired during the last week of the war. Gotta keep those records. I sort of hesitate to admit it but I can tell you what I have done every day since July 1, 1966 when I went to work outa college. I have those yearly books that you can carry in your shirt pocket, and write in the space for each day....clear back to 7/66 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Is THAT paranoid, or what?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]I got audited by IRS once and they just HATED those little books: "A mileage deduction? Well, let's see....Yep, I went to San Francisco on the 8th and went on to Napa the next day...mileage was XXXX." They just HATED me because they could not challenge me on deductions....it wuz all right there.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Henry Kissenger never kept a notebook. He says if it isn't important enough to remember without writing down, then it isn't that important. Henry had no notes, and he was the only one that didn't get nailed in Watergate. I quit keeping a daily notebook after listening to Henry.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode