Head light problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Head light problem

I have an 88 Wrangler and my head lights cut out every now and then when I have them on bright. I can get them to come back on by switching them to dim. They have only done that to me twice. I have put the lights on bright and tried to wiggle wires and shake the jeep, but I can never get them to cut out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Head light problem

I had a problem like that before. I just put in a relay since there seems to be some sort of circuit breaker system that overheats and causes it to turn off your lights...atleast thats what Ive been told....either way after the relay everything is fine.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue> Boldly going where no jeep has gone before!!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:04 AM
Robert87yj

Little foot is right, it is a circuit breaker that overheats and shuts off. Mine use to do that a lot, I have since put in relays for both of my brights and my regular lights, I also ended up putting in a relay for my off road lamps on my bumper also. The relays noticeably increaced the light output of each light.

If you need a schematic I'll try to whip one up for you.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:35 AM
I Do This For The Glory

It may not be the relay. I had this problem as well, but found a bad connection going to the relay, causing the aforementioned problem. Check the wiring under the hood and check all the connections before replacing anything.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 12:15 PM

I just had the same problem with my 89 YJ. It was the switch itself. It is very easy to fix. Just remove the switch from the dash and wiring harness and you will see all tyhe tarnish on the connection. I bought some electrical cleaner and some emery boards(finger nail type), cleaned it up plugged it back in and it was fixed.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They only shut off on bright and they act like something is overheating. What do you mean you put in a relay. do you mean you replaced the existing one or did you rig something of your own.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what I did was just get the wire that goes to the headlights and put a relay there....then the relay would take up all the duties instead of the factory wiring. Since I had installed high output headlights I also threw new wiring from the relay to the headlights if not I probably would have fried the stock(thin) wiring

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue> Boldly going where no jeep has gone before!!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode