304 build ups...? did a search and found nada// - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

304 build ups...? did a search and found nada//

i bought big blue a few months ago and the 304 was (built up to a 401 spec ) so says the seller...i personally think he is fulla sh*t. 1) is this possible as HP is concerned? 2)how can i tell what has been done to the engine without a teardown? 3) what is the easiest way to check HP and Torque on this engine? 4)what are good upgrades for the 304? I've upgraded a gm305, but thats a whole different story....as always thanks..

big,mean,loud,fast,and oh so pretty. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 06:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 304 build ups...? did a search and found nada//

1. its easily possible to get more power from a BUILT 304compared to a STOCK 401
2. the only things you can look for are the heads. Look and see if they are 304 heads or 360/401 heads.. its a common upgrade the the amc engines.
3. if the engine is strong, and pushes the jeep, who really cares what the power out is?
4.****MY OPINION*****
i like the 360 heads, they bolt right on and have huge valves. edelbrock makes a good intake.do the T/R upgrade..but go with the MSD 6AL.
you cannot bore a 304 out to a 401. also remember that a 401 has stronger internals than a 304. I get very good power from my 304, but it was bored, balanced, and all the components were matched

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dont REALLY car what the output is, and it does move the jeep..i was just curious. It does have an edelbrock performer intake, 80cfm QJET, and headers. I will look tonight at the heads..i dont think they were changed. And MSD upgrade is definately in my future..i just dont know if i want to modify this 304 or save up for a swap..thanks.

big,mean,loud,fast,and oh so pretty. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:53 AM
FlMudCJ

I'm very happy with my 304. I took my stock, dying 304, and did a budget buildup on it. I tore it down, handed it to the machine shop, they cleaned and bored it, and assembled the piston / rods. Also had the crank turned, and heads re-worked, reusing as many components that were still in spec. Using mostly stock new parts, I did put in a 260 grind cam, matching lifters, and double roller timing chain, as well as an edelbrock intake and 600cfm carb.

This son moves. It has some awesome power in the 1500-3000 rpm range, and this is without the MSD. I'm dissapointed in the idle - 1500 torque, but I do alot more mud running than tree climbing, so I'm very happy..

I'd say keep the bugger, there's enough information on the board to do a much better buildup than I did, probably alot cheaper too, but I had fun, and then you get to say you have an AMC engine that'll out pull most backyard 305/350's... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode