SOA/SRS Front Dana44 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SOA/SRS Front Dana44

I plan on installing a Chevy front 44 into my CJ7. Along with that I will have SOA and reversed shackle.

Does anyone have a similar setup with a front 44? Im worried about caster and having to rotate the knuckles.

In your experience, does Dana44 candidate axles(Wagoneer,Chevy) have good enough caster?

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SOA/SRS Front Dana44

when i went soa i did a shackle reversal at the same time. it works fine and i run a scout dana 44. i don't know why everyone acts like the caster thing is that big of a deal because it is easy to fix. as for the caster on chevy vs. wagoneer i'm not sure but if you go chevy you'll more than likely be cutting it down so you can have your caster set then.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:09 PM
Veteran

jeepgod has a wagoneer front d44 axle.. comes with +6 degrees caster.. and he just did a soa and shackle reversal.. what he did was rotate the axle till where he has +1 degrees caster.. compromised for the pinion angle..

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have the dana 44, soa, srs, i adjusted my caster....like high5 said.. it's not hard when you are shortening the axle anyway, jeepgods LOOKS like it will work well without the caster adjusted, but we havent drove it yet...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:32 PM

I havent done it on a CJ, but on my YJ, there were no issues regaurding camber/castor. I took my D44 from a grand wagoneer donor since the drop need to be on the driver side. But it was a very simple, and straight forward swap. The only problem was that the steering linkage runs right into the springs on an SOA configuration, so a high knuckle steering set up was in order in my case. Here is a picture of the set up.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-210916-D44cmplete.JPG (45.6 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

h8monday, you keep posting the picks of your steering setup and i just want to say that i'm jealous! i really like it and hope to have a similar setup one day.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im cutting down just the long side of the Chevy 44. I hope to end up with an axle that is 62.5".

What bothers me is having to rotate the knuckle on the short side. The long side knuckle will be CUT off so putting it back on at the proper alignment is no problem. Its the short side where I would have to grind away the weld and then try to rotate the knuckle while it is still on the axle tube. From what I have heard even using a 5lb sledge barely turns the knuckle. Is there any easier way?

I wouldnt be worrying too much about caster except that I have a clocked tcase and Im sure Im going to have to adjust the pinion angle quite a bit... in turn requiring a caster adjustment.

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:44 PM

Brian,
Its a great steering set up, and it really isnt to expensive if you have access to a machine shop. Let me know when you need more details, Id be glad to help out if I can. It drives so much better on and off road than I ever even imagined it would. And its rock solid.
Thanks for the compliment.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you are worried about rotating the knuckle then how do you plan to get the knuckle off the side you are going to narrow? you'll have to beat the crap out of it too so what is the problem of doing it to fix the caster on the short side?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

did you make your own arms? i have access to a machine shop so drilling the knuckles shouldn't be a problem. the machine shop i have access to does not have tapered drill bits though so i am not sure about the arms. i guess i could go buy the correct bit or just buy the arms if anyone sells them. any ideas?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode