Spring over with CJ springs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spring over with CJ springs?

I read all the time about people using YJ springs for CJ spring overs...I know the YJ springs are flatter and yield better articulation, while still providing a great deal of added height to the jeep...Anyone ever use stock CJ springs for a spring over? They seem to articulate pretty well by themselves. I'm considering doing a spring over as a low-buck winter mod...right now she's just as I bought her, suspension wise...Stock springs with full-length add-a-leaves... limited articulation, tank-like ride, and the 32x11.50's make friendly contact with the inside of the fenders at full crank. So I'm just wondering if I could do it cheaper (got the springs) and avoid problems with YJ springs sagging/bending from the reverse arching if I used CJ springs...sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but didn't find anything.

The jeep is up and runnin...damn...work work fix..the jeep is...damn...work work fix...the jee...damn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spring over with CJ springs?

stock cj springs can and will work fine. i swapped to rear cj springs in the front but i was doing a lot of mods at the same time so that made it convinent for me. if you just want to do it the quick, easy, and cheap way then just stick with the stock springs.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:10 PM

FarmJeep,

my project is using rear CJ springs in teh front, for a few reasons.

ive a few sets, and people will give you sets, instead of paying for YJ springs, and ive got some dissassembled and some 2.5 inch FSJ springs also so I can make some custom packs If I need to.

the stock front Cj springs just seem so wimpy, especailly with a V8 and dana 44 up there, that might make them ride really soft though, who knows!

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you wil have no problems with the cj springs, truthfully, I'm not sure there is that much difference in the spring rates, experiment a little too.. take a leaf out, put one it.. you'll have a great lift for little $$$$

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's what I was hoping...Now if only I had a way to make my stock shocks work...hmmm...

The jeep is up and runnin...damn...work work fix..the jeep is...damn...work work fix...the jee...damn
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 06:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Man! It isn't even October yet and you guys are making plans to "shop it up" for the winter. I think I'll move to the Midwest. This business of planting three crops per year and irrigating in February really takes away from the "fun-projects" time. Actually FJ, I'm flying outa here on Friday to look over a ramshackle farmstead in Iowa. We can buy the front two acres and the buildings for less than a used BMW costs in CA, LET ALONE a building to park it in. Besides the farmhouse, they have a 40 X 32 building with heavy concrete floor. I just have one question: "How do you keep warm enough to work in the shop in those brutal winters?"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The shop at the home farm here is only just barely wide enough to fit a tractor with duals in, and is just long enough that you can fit the Mack tractor in with the hood open and clear the door (in back) and be able to walk between the hood and tool chests (in front). So the big suspended LP furnace and ceiling fan do the trick-- Freezing cold to shirtsleeves weather in about 3 minutes. In the big shop at the farm out west (40x60), the furnace and ceiling fan take a bit o' planning. Gonna work on something in there this afternoon? Best go out and fire it up 1/2 hour or so early... Gonna be working down on the floor? Best light it up 2 hours early. Hey, if you get really trick, you'll have to run radiant heat in that concrete floor (aww, come on, you know you wanna re-pour that floor anyhow). My uncle's shop has it...the floor is nice and warm (great for creeper work), the shop stays toasty, water/etc. that spill on the floor melt fast, and it's really economical to heat. Knowing you, you'll probably just put a rosebud on the ol' Victor and heat the whole place with oxy/acy.

Best of luck with the farmstead purchase. Just remember, if you're gonna buy it, leave the Bimmer at home and drive the pickup. Otherwise they'll charge you retail [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 10:12 PM

Tapped into the gas line in my utility room and ran a line out to the garage. Installed a furnace with a thermostat. I can make you sweat in your BVD's out there within 5 minutes [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I keep it set at around 50 so that my paints and stuff don't freeze, then crank it up to 65 when I go out there to work, and the jacket and sweatshirt are off within a couple of minutes. FJ, I saw you staring at that pile of springs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]...there's a nice set of YJ packs in there if you want them...I always keep the springs when I install a lift for someone. There's a decent set of stock military wrapped CJ springs in the shed also off of my '86.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast

I use an old 140,000 BTU kero torpedo heater with a thermostat to get it warm (in a hurry) and a smaller kero heater to keep the big one quiet for a while. Torpedo heaters are noisy! This unit will burn about one gal of kero/hour of continuous running. It is not very good if your using paint but for general wrenching it is very good. I use this setup as I got it CHEEP years ago when I was building up a '36 Ford BB delivery in an old aircraft hanger.

Torpedos that are not adjusted correctly will make your eyes water from unburned kero, if the ignition fails you will be spraying kero all over your shop, and don't forget the CO build-up (CO detecter recommended).

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only thing that is stil fairly cheap here in Norway, is electricity...
Sooooo, when i did my new concrete garage floor (11x30, i know it's a little odd size ...), i installed 4 500W electrical heather cables in the floor.
I'll have a small shop, about 11x11, which has 2x500 W.
The garage part (11x19) has the other 2 500W heathing cables in the floor.
I can heat the shop totaly by the cables, but the garage will need additional heat sources, on the looong, cold winter evenings...
Oh yes, the cables are controlled by thermostats...

Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

<[email protected]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode