Best prep for virgin bare metal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Best prep for virgin bare metal?

Getting my ducks in a row before welding time. I've got several brand new items to be welded to my frame: rear crossmember, body mounts, spring hangers (cut-off the CJ units & bought YJ units), tall rear shock mounts; and am wondering what the best way is to prep these things for maximum paint adhesion...figure they'll be easier to work with while they're loose. They're all bare, smooth steel except for the YJ hangers which have some cheap paint on them for storage/shipping. I had some adhesion problems with the new rear crossmember on the original Jeepskate and don't want to travel that road again. TIA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 01:24 PM
glennCJ7

Re: Best prep for virgin bare metal?

If it's very clean ( ZERO rust ) and degreased with final wash you can't beat a zinc chromate primer, it's mostly used on aluminum but works very well on all metals. Only catch is price.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 01:32 PM
I Do This For The Glory

New metal? The only "new" metal I've seen is after I've welded. Check out NAPA, they carry a line of etching primers. I've seen them work, when you cut the metal after the paint has adhered, it looks like the paint "soaks" into the metal, it's 1/2 way through on 1/8". I usually just clean everything up and Hammerite it. Let it dry before welding though, the welding will burn the close stuff away, but it's better than painting it afterwards. Just make sure the two surfaces to be welded are bare and clean, for the best weld.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I just remember the *horror* of painting the first crossmember and watching the POR-15 streak across it and flake off after it dried when I scraped things across it, so I don't want a repeat performance. Do you think it would be okay to paint the insides of the frame rails before welding or would it be best to wait (just trying to do things during the down time so that I feel like I'm accomplishing something other than sitting on my thumbs)?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Would Variprime fall under this category? I have some sitting on the shelf that a buddy gave me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode