New Bumper Plan - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Bumper Plan

Im going to build a new front bumper for my CJ5 and I've been thinkin that it would be nice to have a bumper that was adjustable! Slide the ends in when out wheelin and pull ends back out when in town. I originally wanted to use 2x6 rectangular tube but they dont make any compatible sizes to slide inside each other so.([img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]plan change[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]) I went to a 3.5"x3.5" inside a 4"x4" square tube. Im thinking 4"x4" seems kinda small....It would also expose my steering box too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]???

What da think???

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Bumper Plan

Im trying to get a drawing up here.......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-210770-BumperPlan.JPG (12.3 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 02:55 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Not a bad idea. Just keep in mind how things get "tweaked" in the woods and if it's pinned or bolted, they might not come out easily. Why would you want a wide bumper for on the road, just out of curiosity?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

for that time Im inebriated and run the light and ram the Lexus I wont wreck my fender or wheel..

No Really, I figured for town driving it'd be there for protection and in the woods it wouldnt be there for clearance?? But I have to think on it some more.

and I mean inebriated by exhaust fumes[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:00 PM
Addict

A 4"x4"x3/8" bumper is not small at all! That's what I have on the front of mine and let me tell you!!! When I first reported in here, I was driving like a mad man down a dirt road on the other end of base after about a week of rain and went sliding out of control and into the woods at about 25mph. It slowed a little, but I still smacked a tree at about 10-15mph and nearly broke myself into two pieces! The impact lifted my back wheels off the ground and sheared off the grade 5 bolts I had used to fasten the bumper on the frame. I scraped the paint off of it, but there was no damage to the bumper at all. At thirty or fourty - it'd knock today's production cars clean in two! My buddies now call it the "tree bumper" for obvious reasons. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

To protect myself in DC traffic and still have usefullness on the trail, my bumper has a shape about like this: (looking from the top and not to scale mind you)

I still have the protection that you speak of, but still retain a good turning radius out on the trail. Just another idea for you, but trust me 4x4 ain't small at all!

As far as your steering box goes, you shouldn't (in my opinion) be straddling obstacles anyway. It is good to have a skid plate, but if the obstacle hits your bumper - you're not going over it anyway! You can get a piece of 4"x6"x1/4" and weld it to the rear bottom side of the bumper, bent back at a 45 degree angle, and cut off the same drop as your box for a skid plate.

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have made several telescoping booms and hoists from rectangular tubing, and all you have to do is get a good fit on the sides. In the top and bottom you use plates to make up the difference. One plate resembles a long "Vee" and one plate resembles a pointed tongue so they can fit one inside the other and nest well, giving good support when telescoped all the way out. You end-weld the "Vee" plate on the outer tube and the tongue plate is on the moveable piece.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Does ANY of that make sense?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>how do you plan to mount the bumper to the front of the vehicle? Will the slides get in the way? or did you allot for that?

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 11:08 PM
WSB

I made some bumpers for my CJ7 out of 3" X 2" square tube ( 3/16" thick), they looked like the ones
that durango Truck Outfitters sell, had the loop for the lights, winch plate on the front, receivers front and
rear and tow hooks. Let me tell ya my wife slide on some ice in driveway a couple of years ago with her
Acura Integra and the corner of the rear bumper. She did $1700 dollars worht of damage to it. The Jeep,
just had scratch where she hit it. those bumpers were throughly tested against her car, trees, huge rocks
and a guardrail. Never a dent, just scratches in the paint.
4" X 4" would be huge compared to the 3" X 2"
Wayne

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-211155-jeep6.jpg (14.9 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im planning on welding connection tabs to the bumper then bolting them to the frame, there will be no interference inside the tube. I may need to run the connecting tab on top and bottom of the bumper..Ill see what it looks like etc.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:21 AM
WSB

That's how my front bumper was attached, 6 bolts total held it on,
Use to hook all tow straps and winch cables to the hooks on the bumpers
never did have it fall off.
The rear bumper we made up 2 - 3/8" plates that were 8" long and 3" tall and drilled a tapped for the bolt size and thread used and welded them to the backside of the bumper and bolted them up using the factory holes in the rear
cross member. Worked great.

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode