Help! Broke a Stud on a 4.2 Exhaust Manifold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Help! Broke a Stud on a 4.2 Exhaust Manifold

Last night my wife told me FrankenJeep was too loud. I figured that I would tighten up the header pipe to ehaust manifold joint to fix a small leak on the 258. As things normally go, the stud snapped off VERY easily. My question is, how do I get the remains of the stud out? Do I remove the manifolds & polution stuff or should I try to remove the engine mount to drill it out on the Jeep?

The stud snapped off flush with the flange and this is an 80 CJ with the intake & exhaust manifolds bolted together.

If I take them off, should I put the polution plumbing back on? It just past E-check here in Ohio with the following emmissions: HC 19.1PPM out of 174.0 allowable, CO 1.12% out of 2.19% allowable and CO2 at 11.80% This is with a Weber carb and TeamRush ignition.

Thanks in advance.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help! Broke a Stud on a 4.2 Exhaust Manifold

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] An ACE welder could weld a nut onto the broken-off-flush stud from the bottom. You hold the slightly-oversized nut in place with the welder ground clamp from above and Ace gets below with TOTAL LEATHERS and welds the crap out of it. THEN, you guys go do something else for several hours while the stud shrinks back FARTHER THAN IT WAS, and then you carefully twist back and forth till you get a full revolution, and then turn it on outa there.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The key word here is ACE. This is not for the faint of heart nor for the novice, but it works every time and saves taking a lot of stuff off unnecessarily.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If you were close by, I would have that out of there for you in exchange for a shockingly cold Coca-Cola in the glass bottle.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help! Broke a Stud on a 4.2 Exhaust Manifold

bummer been to this movie.......didnt like the way it ended.........dont know where you are in ohio but i am in dayton area and took my manifold to numbers machine shop in englewood and they drilled it out and retapped it for next to nothing.......sorry bout your luck cause i have same luck......

'78 cj-5 not perfect......but fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode