T5 leaking from bellhousing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

T5 leaking from bellhousing

Just installed a new clutch and refilled my T5 with Dexron III and now I notice it's leaking fluid from between the trans and the bellhousing. My guess is its a front shaft seal or the ATF is too thin. I pulled the inspection cover but can't see anything. It didn't leak before the clutch job and never noticed any leakage while the trans was out although I spilled out gobs of fluid while removing it. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 09:39 AM

Re: T5 leaking from bellhousing

I don't know what the answer is, but I have the same exact problem. I just put my clutch in two weeks ago, and I was under the Jeep yesterday and noticed the dripping.

Sean

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I do believe there is an oil seal on the input shaft that resides in the carrier.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know this has been a source of disscusion for along time,(ATF or gear oil) but I run gear oil in my T-5. I am in the HOT Texas weather though!

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.

http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not crazy about dropping the trans again to replace the input shaft seal, so I'll probably try using gear oil. the only reason I used the Dexron III was because that's what my Haynes and Chiltons recommended. The fluid that came out of it was red, but seemed much thicker. Didn't smell burned or anything. If it's the seal, I'd guess I wrecked it while installing the trans after replacing the clutch. Tough to imagine though since I installed the engine & trans in one piece. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As much as you hate to take it out again, I strongly recommend fixing it now, gear oil is thicker but will still leak. Infact ATF has elements in it that is made to swell seals, you could get a worse leak with gear oil. Point being, you are going to have to fix it sooner or later. Its annoying, almost as bad as a bad pilot bearing, 3 hrs work for a $7 part.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode