Jeep Runs Like Crap Now :o( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep Runs Like Crap Now :o(

Hey Guys,

Now that my SOA is 90% done and i tried to start the rig after about 7months of sitting and it will not idle at all and runs horrible. I have checked the timing, all plug connections and such but no luck.

Any ideas? Is there something to do to a rig after it sits for a long time?

The truck ran great before and i havent touched anything since?

I did leave the key one for about 2 weeks and killed an Optima (since replaced for free). Would leaving the key on for that amount of time damage anything??

Thanks

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R (kinda), Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, York, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jeep Runs Like Crap Now :o(

Check that venturi cluster on the Carter. (I checked your profile and no mention of the power plant, I am assuming you have a 258 with carter carb.) The idle tubes may be clogged with something.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.

http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry

Its a stock 4.2L with a Weber 32/36 on it. I just updated my profile. )

Thanks

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R (kinda), Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, York, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, it takes three things to get her to run. Spark, fuel/air, and compression. Pull a plug wire and check the spark. Put a compression gauge on the cylinder (or your finger) and check the compression. Sometimes to check fuel, I drip a little (don't fill her up or you will break something) into each cylinder and see if it will start. If it runs for a few seconds and then stops when you do this, start looking at the carb and fuel pump/line etc.

Other than that, drink a beer and howl at the moon. It works for me.

Good luck! Turtle

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you add a gas stabilizer at any time? You might have a tank full of varnish that it is trying to run on.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 09:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

are you using 7 month old gas???
I wouldn't worry about it until it has been running a few days..these problems go away sometimes..other times????the carb is a good place to start looking

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I suspect the ignition. Sometimes after the key has been left on for extended periods, it will fry the points, OR the module. Seven months is enough time to have bad gas, IF it wasn't all that fresh to begin with. If you suspect that you have a valve stuck open, dump some Berryman B-22 in the crankcase, run it for twenty minutes, then change oil. I used to buy up all the Oldsmobile diesels; for practically nothing; that I could find sitting in driveways,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] tied down by spider webs, and most of the time it had been six months to two years since they ran. On startup, many times a valve would stay open OR the lifter would not pump up. Berryman B-22 was my best buddy in that case.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:33 PM

just try spraying or poring some fresh gas in while someone els cranks it if it fires up you know it is the gas ...dump the rest of the tank ...

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:44 PM

Dave,, Pray tell,, what did you do with all that GM *%$#* diesel? Can't possibly think of any good use.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
GP'n

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 09:51 PM
chasejeep7

Carb cleaner can work wonders and is pretty much dirt cheap. Helped to get my engine woken up a few times. This is a far off shot, but I would check your TDC (top dead center) just to be sure. I usually check a rough idler's timing before pulling anything else off.

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode