Bad weekend: Jeep broken into - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bad weekend: Jeep broken into

Well this weekend was bad. My Jeep got broken into. They stole my stereo, CD player, CB radio, a tool box, the computer to my engine, my trail top, and destroyed my center console. I understand someone taking the CB and stereo b/c they are wide open, but they also destroyed to center console to get the CD changer. I know that having a Jeep meens it is easier to steal things and I can live with that, but the tool box had some of my late granfather's tools in it. Also they took the computer for the fuel injection so I can't move the Jeep anywhere, but they didn't touch the engine. I think that this was the steel I beam that broke the camel's back for having a Jeep as a daily driver. I think that I'm taking what pocket change that I get from insurance and put it foward to a Chevy pickup and a trailer. If anyone sees a JVC stereo and CD changer, a GM computer, a gray trail top, or a small red tool box with a bunch of tools (ie. stanely hammer, 1/2 socket set, a bunch of box wrenches) in the Fort Collins Colorado area (either for sale private or at a pawn shop) please let me know. The police couldn't find any finger prints, just smuge marks. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bad weekend: Jeep broken into

Tim,
you have my deepest sympaties, brother. Some people have no respect for others or their property. Just believe in wht comes aroun, goes around, sooner or later, they'll get theirs, dishonest people ALWAYS do. Good luck getting your goods back. take care...

mikey

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, RS9000s, RS5000 stabilizer, BedRug, tows my CJ-7!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:29 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Few things make madder than a %#@&%* theif! I really think they should cut off their hands like they do in other parts of the world. Pretty sure that would put a stop to a lot of this crap. Hope you find your stuff and the low life SOB who took it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 01:38 AM

What can I say, some people just are not on the same level as we are [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img].

Chad
'....he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Tim, since I have been a Californian all of my life, I have always operated on the principle that "If it's ON the vehicle or IN the vehicle, it will be stolen." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]I can take you to cities here in CA where half an hour is all they need to strip your rig. Steve and his buddy Scott found that out when they visited San Farncisco on their Jeep trip. SFO usually takes an hour or so, OAKLAND can get the job done in less than thirty minutes. Imagine how you would like to come out to your pristine Grand Cherokee and find the window bashed in and the entire insides ransacked by the upstanding citizens of that crap hole of a city that is home to the Oakland raiders like I did a couple of years ago.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] And that was parked directly in front of the big, new, glass, marble, and stainless steel, Eilhu Harris office building, not in some dark neighborhood.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I would love to leave a little red toolbox in the back of my pickup that is tack-welded shut, so they would have to take it home and open it and then with half a pound of c4........... well, you get the idea. "Mystery Blast Levels Crack House".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The previous owner of our CJ drove to CA from CT and his welcome to the homo state was having the hard doors, the spare, and the seats stolen within 24 hours. And they say that booby traps are "unfair" and "illegal". Hmmmmm....what an idea.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tim, sorry about the luck. it is really a bummer because i hate hearing of things like that. i think you have the right i dea though. don't use as a daily driver and don't put high dollar stuff in it. i know some things are nice to have but if you think it's nice then so will the thieves.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:07 PM
I Do This For The Glory

How do you guys put up with it? I'd be in jail from shooting someone. I have a hard time understanding how something like this can happen in such a short time. Then again I guess I'm spoiled, not only don't we lock our houses or vehicles, the local hardware stores don't even take anything in off the street at night.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:44 PM

Theives are the scum of the earth, and CJ Dave is right that Ca is very bad. Fresno was the worst in the US a few years ago. But I hear vegas is notoriouse also. Lets face it, if drug abuse is tolerated is lax as it is at present, how can a junkie, who by nature is to strung out to hold down a Job, gonna make enough money for his habit(a drug budget that could build a super Jeep in a month or two). I like CJ daves idea of a C-4 bonus package. I recently took out an Underwriters Insurance Policy on my YJ, but even with all the money, you still have to consider the time and involved in building a project by your own hands.
I starting to believe the old Middle East policy of removing a hand for the 1st offense isnt so bad, at least it would help you identify the criminals ie "Industrial accident"??? "Uhmmm no....not excactly", "then keep your hands out, oh sorry, I mean Hand, out of my stuff".

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 02:01 PM
I Do This For The Glory

In ancient China they used to cut off your nose, this makes you known, as a hand can be concealed, but your face can't. I wholeheartedly agree with this policy and think it should be enforced here.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 02:47 PM

That stinks. I hate to suggest it, but I think someone was watching you or knew what you had through some channel or another. My first Jeep was broken into twice, and my ex-Jimmy was broken into once. Most casual thieves are not very thorough and grab only what they can quickly pick up or rip out. I had the Jeep stereo (nice head unit, very expensive EQ I was borrowing from a friend, various singal processors, CD changer) mounted in my center console and it was never even touched...there was nothing readily outwardly visible to suggest that I had anything beyond the old double-shaft radio in the dash...the most I ever lost was a pair of dress shoes, slacks, some cassettes in a case, and a dinner plate that were on the back seat. In contrast, part of the stereo was stolen out of my Jimmy and someone *had* to have been watching me. It was a rust bucket with the factory tinted windows, radio from a Z28 (they left that), crossover bolted under the dash (they left that), a small 'amp rack' (it was just a piece of plywood with some 2x4's screwed to it covered in matching carpet with an amp and signal processor mounted under it...hardly even noticeable) and a small Bazooka...easily one of the top ten rattiest vehicles in the lot at work (lots of yuppie-mobiles). They smashed the passenger side window (I was more pissed about that than anything else since it was winter), flipped the seat forward and climbed into the back seat and grabbed the Bazooka and the amp rack (cutting the cables with my own tools which they left behind even though it would've been just as quick to just unplug the RCA cables) and took off...needless to say I don't park in that lot anymore. I had bought the stuff used several years ago for cheap, so I wasn't really ticked about that...the window they smashed cost me more than the stuff they stole. On my current daily driver Jeep, I have a removable face radio (and take the face with me) and CD changer mounted in a custom center console...the whole thing is removable with two screws, the antenna plug and one molex connector with all of the other wires...easy in/out for the trail or going to an unsavory area...no amps, and the rear speaker box is easily removed as well. I only carry the bare essentials in tools and have them locked in boxes on the wheelwells...a full toolbox replaces the speaker box in the back for trail runs. I keep nothing else of any value in the Jeep and leave the doors unlocked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode