SOA Steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 10:55 PM
glennCJ7

SOA Steering

Hi just found this site and it looks cool. I've been driving and building this CJ over the last four years, I did a shackle reversal a couple of years ago and now in the middle of a SOA ( the AMC 20 final gave up, so I got a 44 from a Scout and thought while I'm at it might as well go SOA). Anyway when the front end was nearly finished and I took a good look at it and didn't like the location of the tie rod hanging down there just waiting to find a stump or rock. So I decided to raise the steering over the springs. Not having flat top 44 knuckles it poses a bit of a problem. So the question is how do do you get the linkage up out of the way with 82 Dana 30 knuckles? I thought of newer Chev type with an idler arm but with 7 1/2"(aprox) travel it seemed it would have too much bump steer. Also I tried a bronco system but I would have to bend the links too much to clear the spring at full turn. I was wondering if anyone tried some sort of tierod end extenders? Or any other thoughts on the subject?

thanks glenn

P.S. Reaming the knuckles to accept larger tierod end from the top down isn't a problem, it's already done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 06:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: SOA Steering

ive made some homemade rise brackets that bolt to the knuckle.. and the tie rod goes into the top of that.. we had made these before for another soa jeep.. and they worked fine.. i have yet to drive mine.. and its not the prettiest thing to look at..
i will eventually go with some flat top knuckles.. picking up a chevy 44 here shortly.. and am going to use that housing.. and put all my guts into it..
then machine me a bracket to bolt on.. since i have access to a machine shop..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode