Advice for a Dana 44 upgrade from a stock 20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 10:21 PM
chasejeep7

Advice for a Dana 44 upgrade from a stock 20

I just obtained a rear end with an open Dana 44 off a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The shop was ditching it because it lacked limited-slip, so I got it free. Unfortunately, they took the axle shafts. My question is: Could I fit this into my 82 CJ-7 without buying new axles for the 44. I personally have no experience with axles, besides the occasional bearing replacement. Otherwise I have never had anything go wrong with them.

I do know that AMC changed axle-width to wide-track length in 82, but not truly sure if I have them. Currently I just have stock, a Dana 20 rear and Dana 30 front. Im like any trailblazer: I want to beef up the rear. Can I do anything with this pumpkin? Thanks for the feedback.

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 10:32 PM

Re: Advice for a Dana 44 upgrade from a stock 20

Don't bother with it. Doesn't it have all those brackets on it? You would have to cut them off. You would also have to get new shafts, and match gear sets front and rear.
Your better off going to a yard and looking for a Dana 44 from a scout. You can probably get one real cheap.

'79 CJ-7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

does the housing have an aluminum pumkin? i thought the grand cherokees had an aluminum one. if so unless you only drive on the street don't use it.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm pretty sure they are aluminum, but it not, it's still not worth it. You got to buy gears (good chance won't match the front), axle shafts, and fabricate spring and shock mounts. Misewell just get a 1 piece axle kit (you'd have to buy axles anyway) and you have an axle which is just as sturdy.

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:23 AM
chasejeep7

Yeah guys,
It's aluminum. I go off-road. Unless someone has more to add, looks like I'll be selling a rear end for a '99 Grand Cherokee. I'm in So. WI for those interested in it.
Thanks for the great help so far.
ChaseJeep7

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 06:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if you go with a smaller ring and pinion.. how is that called an upgrade?
the amc 20 is a very good axle.. and i would never consider taking one out for a d44.. unless i got it for free.. and my 20 was broke.. take the money you would buy a 44 with and get some one piece shafts..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, unless you plan to change the front too just get the shafts.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:09 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'd Ebay the thing. I hear the aluminum ones are the worst, they bend easily and people find lots of aluminum shavings in the oil. I have never owned one, just what I have heard.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 02:38 PM

Uh, The AMC 20 has a larger ring gear and better oiling. Those things make for a stronger axle with a longer life-span. The axle-shafts will have to be replaced with one-piece units when you break the old ones, of course.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:46 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Oh no, not this again.

Doing a search on the differences between the AMC 20 and the D44, you'll find:

...The ring gear on the AMC 20 is 3/8" larger than the Scout II
...The Scout II has a larger contact area on the ring & pinion gearset for the same ratios (45/11 for the Scout and 41/10 for the AMC)
...The Scout II uses thicker axle tubes
...The Scout II uses 1.31" axle shafts and the AMC 20 uses 1.25"
...The Scout II uses 30 splines and the AMC has 29
...The Scout II rear drum brakes are 42% larger than the AMC 20
...The Scout II rear axle is 2" wider per side than the AMC 20 widetrack
...The Scout II uses equal length axles on each side, the AMC doesn't
...The Scout II yoke is approximately 1/4" closer to the transfer case than the AMC 20
...The Scout II uses shims to adjust the bearing preload, the AMC uses a crush sleeve, which, I have heard, can relax over time and heavy wheeling

I'm sure there is more, if anyone has more, let me know, I'm interested in the stats.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode