oil pressure question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oil pressure question

When I start my 85 CJ7 w/258 and 36,000 orignal miles it has great oil pressure (60psi) after it gets to operating temp it only shows about 2-3 psi at idle and about 18-19psi at 55mph. I am running 20w50 I live in houston 50 to 75 is the current outside temp. The gauge is new. What can I do to raise the pressure at operating temp (both at idle and crusing speed) new pump? If so High out put or high volume or is there another/easyer answer???
Thanks a bunch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: oil pressure question

First, if your using to orginal gauge, don't overreact! They are very dependent on ground and read spuratic. Trust me I have on. You might consider using a manual type gage instead. Also, you should have 10 psi for every 100 rpm as a rule. If you have that then you should be OK. Hope this helps.Ken

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 07:34 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Or at least 10 for every 1000rpm[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 09:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Other than your idle pressure ......it seems about right. Typical would be 10-13 warm idle 18-22 road speed and 38-42 cold start (or somewhere close to that)........but the internal pressure relief is about 58 psi. I have a high volume pump and that's where it peaks out.....cold start and at road speed. You've got the worst of both worlds.......high cold pressure and no hot pressure......check the sender and guage. Those two conditions just don't add up. If you can push enough volume to hit 60 psi.......you should be able to maintain 15 at idle. Then again ......I'd ditch the 20-50 for 10w-30.....at least until it hit REAL hot weather......maybe then you would not hit the 60psi mark at cold start.......not that this will help with this problem.....but it would maybe give more believable readings at cold start (like the typical 38-42). A high volume pump is not commonly recommended nor is a high pressure pump. With the high volume your idle, "at speed", and cold start pressures would definitely increase -with the high pressure, which is usually just stiffer relief springs, your idle pressure should remain about the same but you'll get higher pressure the faster you go.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry I forgot to mention that the gauge is new and a mechanical one with the line coming right out of the side of the engine,next to the bell shaped sender that was for the electric gauge. Also I am trying to sell this jeep to use the money else where and get another project. and the low pressure looks bad to prospective buyers......HELP

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 08:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You didn't mention any sounds out of it at idle. With that kind of oil pressure at idle ......I'd expect it to be a little noisy. If it's quiet......I'd still suspect that the gauge was faulty.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

other than startup lifter noise it has no eng. noises

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 04:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First, I'm not sure your numbers are an actual indication of your oil pressure. You mentioned a new gauge, how about the sending unit? If you put a new one in, DON'T use teflon tape or anything else on the threads.

Perhaps try another gauge/sender combo -- anything to establish that those numbers are actually correct before launching off on new oil pump, etc.

You could also have gunk built up inside the sender and/or its passage.

John

'80 CJ7
'84 CJ7
'76 Scout
NRA Life
Join the NRA!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 07:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The sending unit is non functional a fitting is coming out of the side of the eng block with 2 holes 1 has the bell shaped sender and the other is the tube going to the gauge

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 11:07 AM
Wrangler88

welp this is what happened on to my 1988 wrangler with the 258, the oil pressure since i got it read past 80, soi got a new sending unit put it on and it worked for about 2 hours then it read 80, so i got another one and before i put it in i looked at where it screwed in and it was really gross, so i got some carb cleaner and sprayed it in the whole and got a small stiff paint brush and poked around in there and got all the crap out of it and sprayed it with some more carb cleaner until i thought it was really clean, its been running for 4 months now no probs.

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode