We need some Axle Suggestions.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We need some Axle Suggestions....

Here's our Dilemma:
I built a 1998 TJ for my best friend. He doesn't want to deal with breakage, so he basically gave me an unlimited budget to make his stock Jeep a REAL Jeep, so long as its nearly bulletproof. To date, we started with a TJ sahara, with the 4.0 and an automatic. Its since gotten a TeraFlex 4" complete system, TeraFlex adjustable track bar, RS9000s at all corners, dual steering stabilizers, dual optimas, a Warn XD9000i, ARB rockcrawler bumpers, 33" BFG M/Ts, basically, everything we could do to make it cool, and keep it legal. The time has come when the boy is ready for lockers, and rather than invest in the stock questionably strong axles, he's willing to go custom. He does not want carnage. We have definitely decided on locking hubs in front, 4 wheel disk brakes, and detroit lockers front and rear. An Atlas 2 is in the near future as well. We're doing 3.73s because its only a 3 speed auto, and we need to keep highway ability. It is a daily dirver. I want to get him Dana 60's front and rear, basically bulletproof even to a newbie with a super capable TJ running only 33s. 35s are possibilities. Alec78CJ and Currie seem to thin Ford 9"s are the way to go due to ground clearance....what do you guys think, high pinions of course, and money is no object to this kid....what would you buy? sorry for the long post!

mike

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, RS9000s, RS5000 stabilizer, BedRug, tows my CJ-7!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 07:06 PM

Re: We need some Axle Suggestions....

dana 60s are a waste of $$ and ground clearance for an auto poweered 6 cyl with tires that small.

get dana 44s front and rear and bath in the extra clearance and cash.

but the 9 inch would make a good rear too,in fact if he is made of $$ then get a 9inch out back, its better overall, expecially in a longer jeep.

automatics are very forgiving, he could probably get by with stock axles for a while honestly.

I know guys who have done it, and the stock axles hold for longer than I would have thought ( with an automatic)

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

unlimited $$$, call tom elliston at sunray engineering at (817) 594-9201. he builds ford 9" front ends that use dana 60 knuckles and axles. they wiegh alot less than a dana60 and you won't loose as much gound clearance. yes with the dana60 axles you get the big 1ton u-joints and hubs but you can get it with a 5on5 1/2 bolt pattern. he also build 9" rears too. he will build them so that they are ready to bolt into the tj as soon as you get them. all the brackets and all will be on it. this is a sweet setup but it is $$$. but if the guy wants bullet/bomb proof then this is the axle for him. i can only dream.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Talk about living right!! Unlimited budget? Wow! Here's my thoughts. Forget the 33's. Because of the Tj's flare design, you can fit larger tires than other jeeps. You want 35's. Look into a more aggresive tire, say the SSR. A reverse rotation dana 44 with an arb air locker front would be ideal. A 44 out back would probably be fine, but since this an unlimited budget, misewell go custom 35-spline d60 with detriot, unless he does much snow driving, then you should look into arb rear as well. 3.73 gears arn't going to be pleasn't on the street. Look at atleast 4.10's, but 4.56's would be nice putting 35's close to stock. I can't remember the formula right now. Good luck!

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

By the way, forgot to mention, we have to live with NJ lift laws...Ugh! Yes, unlimited budget. When it comes to his TJ, that is...I wish i knew how to post a pic, this is one bad TJ...the 33's even eat fender flare when articulated to the bumpstops! We have pics! If i only knew how to post em......By the way, the Jeep sees 99% of its days on road, not off, and he went from an 89 dodge spirit to this TJ, I didnt want to go too crazy and put him in over his head with swampers and such....

mikey

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, RS9000s, RS5000 stabilizer, BedRug, tows my CJ-7!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

By the way, forgot to mention, we have to live with NJ lift laws...Ugh! Yes, unlimited budget. When it comes to his TJ, that is...I wish i knew how to post a pic, this is one bad TJ...the 33's even eat fender flare when articulated to the bumpstops! By the way, the Jeep sees 99% of its days on road, not off, and he went from an 89 dodge spirit to this TJ, which he bought new, I didnt want to go too crazy and put him in over his head with swampers and such....

mikey

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just get the currie axles and be done... send me a set while your at it... i need a set for the tj and a set for a cj, oh and i need a couple of the atlas...and umm....
but you really do want 35's... and 4.10 gears

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

But swampers "look" so cool. If it's just a street jeep, then why the atlas transfer case? Just so he can say he has one? He does know detriots will adversely affect street handling? You don't need custom axles for the street, and 4.0 and auto won't break a 30 front and 44 rear. If it has a 35c rear, than you might look into a 44, but for a 99% street jeep, I wouldn't bother. Had my all my hopes up for a serious, hardcore wheeler [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:18 PM

if it never sees offroad why run lockers? hell , if it never goes offroad there is No need for stronger axles!

that saves a few grand for pre worn hats and magnetic body armour.

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its a street Jeep for now. He's never really been four wheeling, and wants to learn from someone with some knowledge. None of our friends have any wheeling experience in NJ. I'm away at school in FL. We recently did these mods to the Jeep, and it someday will become a total off road vehicle, when he can afford another ride. He has nobody to go 4 wheeling with, and i really dont wanna see him roll his nice Jeep or really screw something up due to lack of experience. He commutes to work and school, almost 70 miles every day, so the JEep needs good on road manners. We understand the drawbacks of Lockers. We were hoping to be ready for the dixie run to get started on some of the light and medium trails so we can both learn. We wont have the axles in time, so we wont be there. Maybe next time. Everybody has to start somewhere! And for whoever had the rude comment about the atlas two, probably sparked by jealousy, its so that he can keep the highway friendly gears in the axles, but still have good slow speed wheeling characteristics. Grow up. thats all. I wasnt expecting any negative feedback on this post. I guess there's always a few....Now i know why people are always leaving this board....saddening....

mikey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode