tj np 231vs yj np231 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

tj np 231vs yj np231

ok.. get all that?? i want to know what, if any differences there are in a 92 yj np231 compared to a 2000tj np 231.... and better,, can i put a sye and lwgearset into the 92 x-fer case and then just swap out the whole thing?

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:00 PM

Re: tj np 231vs yj np231

the TJ's don't have a disconnect dana 30, so the T-cases don't have the vacuum switch needed for stock YJ's
also TJ's come factory without a slipyoke.
of course the inputs could be different, depending on automatic, 4 or 6 cylinder.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:15 PM

The biggest difference is the change made in 95 to the NP231 was the absence of bearings in the main gears on the shaft. To answer your question "can I just change out the SYE kit between the 2" NO, they are 2 different in put and out put shafts and can not be exchanged. hope this helps
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hmmm.. well.. i aquired this 92 np231, and i was wondering what i was going to do with it... i would have liked to have built it for the wifes tj, but i guess I'll just throw it in the "spare crap" heap me and jeepgod have... that pile is 10 feet by 15 feet, 4 feet high of old ....stuff....anyone need 5 dana 30's? how about 5 sets of gears for an amc 20?(all 3.55 and worse).. at least i don't have to pay for many parts anymore.. i just swap..

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:45 PM

Elusive You can use the NP231 for the TJ with a little mods, its a better tcase than the TJ's, (bearings) do you have an auto or standard? match the input gear to the TJ tranny 23 spline Long (auto), short(standard). The vacuum switch is not needed so just blank it off. It should bolt right up and work well. You may have to change the rear yoke on the SYE to match the drive line u-joints, thats no problem. Don't toss it out,,, hehehe,,, or maybe you want to sell it to me. I could use a spare.
GP'n

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

the older one had a 5 speed with a 258, my (wifes) jeep has the nv3550 that is getting replaced next week under warranty. I don't have a sye on the tj, i was thinking about just building this case.....hmmm... worth looking into a bit more maybe..thanks a ton...i know cj's and all, but this new stuff just blows me away

~~Elusive~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode