Changing out fluids - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Changing out fluids

I have a 84 CJ7 that has a T-5 and a Dana 300 in it. I want to change the fluids but I am unsure of the type to use. My manual says to use automatic trans fluid in the transmission and 8090 gear oil in the transfer case but it then says later on to use the same type because they are interconnected. Are they internally interconnected and which type of fluid should I use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Changing out fluids

i have never delt with a t-5 but all the other dana 300 equipped jeeps had a seal between the tranny and the x-case. i know that the dana300 need 80/90 oil and i am pretty sure you were right about the auto tranny fluid in the t5.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OH NO! the dreaded T-5 fluid thread again! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] We've argued this to death, I've usually used ATF in a T-5 and gear oil in the 300, and yes there is a seal between the two, they DO NOT share fluid. Many use gear oil in the T-5 with no problem, so I think its go with what you want in the T-5. Whata ya wanna bet we get several different answers on this one. (Jeep even used to make some expensive weird sh!t that you were supposed to put in there, haven't seen it in years.)

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 11:07 PM
Veteran

ok.. here is the story.. people put atf in T-5 to make them shift easier.. because its thinner.. but.. you are supposed to put gear oil in them.. the ole 80-90 weight stuff.. you can run both without any major problems.. so i have heard.. since i have never heard of anyone haveing any problems with either..
but i will say this..
what is in it..
gears..
so use gear oil... it may shift alittle harder.. but it will be quieter.. and will last longer..

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are in a warm climate, you should be ok with 80w-90 gear oil, 75w-90 will allow easier cold shifting though. I would recommend against ATF, except if you live where it freezes in winter. The original factory fill was a weird smelling 80w red/brown oil, that the t-case also used. There was a recall in '82 on '80-'81 CJs with T4s and T5s to replace the ATF with gear oil.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode