PO'd at ARCA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

PO\'d at ARCA

Went to the ARCA crawling comp today in Chokecherry Canyon in Farmington. Got near the area where they were holding it and they had a couple girls posted, one selling programs for TEN BUCKS and another one telling me I had to pay them EIGHT FRICKING DOLLARS to park my Jeep on the BLM land where this event was being held. I told her I already paid my taxes, this was public land and I wasn't paying a dime to park, told her as of that moment it was boycott for me. I could have parked out in the bushes (and probably had my Jeep vandalized) or I probably could have bs'd my way in, I had an ORC Staff shirt under my seat and business cards in my wallet, but it was the principle of the thing. Turned around and went home. I don't mind them selling their darn programs, they can charge a hundred dollars and I don't care, BUT DON'T CHARGE ME TO PARK ON PUBLIC LAND!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: PO\'d at ARCA

That is pretty crappy. Maybe they could have disguised it as a "donation" to help with the permits (which I'm sure they need to get), gifts for the volunteer scorers and prizes. Heck, you can park for 3 to 6 bucks in downtown LA.

OK, enough with the diplomacy. ACRA pissed me off after the Arizona area run. I attempted to call them at Salt Lake City several times, long distance, checked their website, etc. No response. I posted several messages on the Toyota bbs for details, and nobody knew of any. I finally heard about it on the bbs about 1 week before the event. The poster knew of a organizer/competitor and said that they wanted it low-key and were concerned about eco nazis finding out and causing havoc. This seemed really lame, because, to my knowledge, there has never been a problem. And no way was I going to take off work and drive 8 hours gambling that the info was correct.

I was MAD. Especially after seeing the Johnson Valley event, which was awesome, incredible, bitchin', insert more superlatives here. I really wanted to go to AZ.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is all thanks to Clinton, Gore, and their puppet, Bruce Babbit. They don't want you to use public land unless you belong to the Sierra Club or you have to pay for it! (permit costs etc) We can not take another 4 years of this but the women vote is keeping Gore in the race as far as the polls go.

Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 10:58 PM
Veteran

blame this crap on whoever you want.. its still the organizors fault.. how much for parking.. ummm.. public land.. that is bull hockey.. im with you cjcreeper.. and so is Elusive.. and Jeepgod.. and we are the military.. hold on of those events here.. we'll bring are weapons.. keep the parking fairs low..
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 11:21 PM
joeybcdt

And yet another example of our majestic beaurocracy at work. Since when is public land "public"?

Last I heard, I have to PAY for a type II hunting permit. Every time I've hunted the migratory bird refuges in Texas, I have to PAY.

OK. I can deal with the fees. They are minimal. However, when law-abiding Texas citizens get hauled off to jail because they had a LEGAL semi-auto rifle in their vehicle as they passed through a game-preserve on a Texas highway.......well, I've got a problem with that!

It's not about parking or guns or 4X4's. It's about POWER and our willingness to surrender it.

Thank you for driving away. You did us all a favor.

Joey

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 02:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another example, My state orginization was putting on an family event this year. cost was $45 I believe. The money wasn't a problem, I would have gladly paid. The problem, Our local club hosted, and preran the trails for the year before( differant location ). All we got was put down from the big wigs in the state club. I presonally heard no bad comments , and every one I talked to had a blast. it was A bit unorganized, but came off with out a problem, other than rain and thunderstorms. This year ut was cancelled because of forest fires, so maybe we should blame the forest fires on the hosting club. It really dosen't matter, because of last years bad mouthing, none of the local members were planing on being in an official trail ride, but a few of us where going to camp off the site, and join the rides as they took place, even some members of the hosting club. YOU CAN"T MAKE US PAY TO PARK ON OR USE PUBLIC LAND.

Thanks, Ray

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 11:29 AM
Can't Get Enough

Sorry folks, I do not agree totally with your complaining. First off, yes it is public land, but secondly, correct me if I am wrong, ORCA has paid a fee for use of the land in an organized manner. They need to recoup those fees and make enough money to pay "other" costs. Without having a way to generate a gate receipt, they charge a vehicle fee. This way, you are allowed to have 1 or ten people get in for the same fee. After going through the Rainbow gathering here in MT, and putting several events tegether on public land, I have NO problem with the parking fee. Sometimes you have to pay for what you do, even if the cost seems strange or inappropriate. Just look at the big picture and you will understand.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:19 PM

From the *very* limited info I've gotten, this appears to be the case...the fees were put in place to offset ARCA's costs and provide some compensation for the judges. You pay to park & get into a stadium to see your state/city professional team play 'x' sport, right? Wasn't the land acquired & stadium built with a lot of money from *your* taxes? Money for this stuff doesn't just fall out of the sky, and it costs money to continue operation...insurance, permits, fees, compensation. It's not like you're wandering out into the desert to watch some unorganized bunch of guys compete against each other like a pick-up game of b-ball at the local playground [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Then hold the darn thing in a stadium, this is just another excuse to make limited access OK. Charge for the programs, charge for popcorn, sodas, beer, whatever the heck you want, but I gotta draw the line when it comes to the parking, especially EIGHT dollars. I guess this kind of thing is why I haven't stayed in a USFS campground in 15 years, public land is just that, PUBLIC LAND. Sorry for my VERY narrow point of view, but that is the way I see it.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 01:20 PM

Well I need to add my .02,,, Jeepskate,,,,What Judges compensation????? I been judging these for awhile (ACRA) and have yet to be compensated for it. hehehe,,, It's the fun that keeps me and others coming back. As to the BLM land use fee,, that is a new thing that we will be seeing more and more, The club I belong to has been doing an annual club event every year, our 20th this year, The Arizona Rough Riders Spook Rally. We have an entry fee for this event and all the money goes for charities, prizes,and to pay the expenses to put this event on. This year we have to charge another $4.00 per vehicle for the BLM land use fee, that is a good chunk of money to the BLM as we typicaly get 100 or better entry's for this event. This has been the norm for the events held here in Az and this years Arizona Jeep Jamboree will be no exception. To keep land open we are going to have to pony up the bucks.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Remember the "Public" parking downtown that we have to PAY for!! Well BLM finally got on the band wagon.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode