Advanced Adapters clutch Chain linkage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Advanced Adapters clutch Chain linkage?

Has oneone gotten the chain clutch linkage kit from AA?
how was the installation? was it strait forward enough for a basic guy like me to handle? and is it adjustable, or does it not need adjusting?

i think my mechanical linkage is kinda screwy....so im look at other options.

also, how much did you guys pay for it? the prices arent listed on the web site.

thanks!!!

Jeep'n Greg
1985 CJ7, 258, t-5, d-300,
2000 TJ 4.0L, jamboree edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Advanced Adapters clutch Chain linkage?

i have one and it works fine but i would suggest going to a hydraulic set up. if i had it to do again that is the route i would take.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 04:55 PM

I don't know how good they are but they are kind of costly as I recall $ 200.00 range,you can look it up in the AA buyers guide. ,also you need to use the rod going from the pedal through the firewall to the bellcrank.It might be cheaper to go hydraulic or rebuild your old set up.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought the chain controller for my old willys wagon and I'm getting ready to put it on my M38A1. I've been pleased with it's performance but since it says Advance Adapters on the side it's way overpriced. As for adjustability the only adjustment is to change the length of the chain and to adjust some threaded rods. It is designed for pre 71 Jeeps so I don't know how it'll adapt to a CJ7. The biggesst problem with using the chain controller is with the Jeep itself, if you use an early Jeep off the road and don't have a full cage or some other means of structural stiffening the factory clutch pedal will bind. Best of luck
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 11:49 PM

I have one on my 67 Cj-5, put it on while swapping in the 231 v6 and a t-18. Rather than relocate the rigged together factory(?) stuff I just replaced it all. I think I paid around $130 from Partsmike.com. It works really good, but as was mentioned earlier jeeps clutch linkage bind if your are using a chain setup or not when off-road. You won't have that problem on an 85. I think they make a different model for the late CJ's. The setup has a threaded rod for adjustment, but basically you set the rod to the middle of its travel take the slack out of the chain, and bolt it to the framerail, so it's adjusted as you actually mounted for the most part. I would also recommend considering a hydraulic setup or rebuilding your stock setup. Even if you replace every single piece of the stock setup I don't think it is that expensive. I have an 83 Cj-7 with a swapped in 4.0 HO and T-18(stock was 258 and t-5), and the (rebuilt) factory linkage has never given me a problem.

Greg
89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-4w disc-35 bfg mt, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 03:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would highly recommend the hydralic throwout bearing from Mcleod Industries. Things were a little tight when I swapped in the 351W and t18 into my '64 cj5 and this setup really helped. Plus no adjusting was ever needed. Their phone number is 714-630-2764. One drawback, Price.

"When in doubt go faster"
'64 CJ5, 351W, T-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode