New to this - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 12:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to this

Hi folks. I'm real new at this Jeep stuff. I just got a '95 Wrangler SE. 2.5l 4cyl, with only 40,000 miles. It appears to be stock. I'm assuming I have a Dana 35 in rear, and 30 in front - does anyone think this is correct?. Without changing differentials, should I go with lockers, or maybe a limited slip-diff. Is there a way to see if there has been any suspension, or body lift work done, from stock? I believe I can go to 30" tires, without mods (it has the stock 28" now). Are these the first things I should concern myself with, or is there any other mods I should prioritize 1st?, Also is ther anyone here from Hudson Valley NY area, and where can I find info on where to go off-road near where I live? Hope this wasn't too much to ask on my first post!!

'95 Wrangler YJ - in transition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 03:45 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: New to this

I'd go with tires first. Then some kind of limited slip or locker. If you go with monster tires, requiring a SOA and/or lift with or without a body lift, that 2.5 isn't going to be very impressive even with going with lower diff. gears. Do some tires/wheels, taller(the taller you go the less low rpm torque will get to the road) and as wide as you can with upgraded diffs and some sway bar disconnects if you have the bars. Use some search engines and do several searches for 4 wheeling info. Perhaps an upstate club or two. Oh well......my $.02.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want a cheap way to get a little lift and be able to put 31" tires on, put Confer's 2" shackels (front and rear). Putting taller spring on is better but cost a lot more money. I have this on my 94 YJ with a stock 2.5 and it works fine. (It was on the Jeep when I bought it.)

Welcome to the sport!

Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

The biggest complaint I've seen about 4 cyl jeeps is lack of power. I have also read a few articles on modifying YJ's that reccomend sway bar disconnects as one of the best (and cheapest) ways to improve off-road performance. Take your time and do plenty of research. You'll probably change your mind several times before you actually start modifying.

jerry

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jerry offers the bottom line when it comes to building a Jeep. Take the time to do your home work first. You will change your mind in what you want the jeep to do, what the piggy bank will allow, and what order to make the changes. Besides, the research and the collecting of parts is half the fun!

Kriss

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 09:10 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Do the mods one at a time unless you have oodles of money to spend. I like to think I did it the right way, here's what I did. BTW, mine was also not a daily driver, so I didn't have to rely on it.

I got the stock jeep, repaired all the rust and made sure it ran fine (except the tranny, which was junk).

I added a suspension lift and larger tires ($350 for a 4" lift and $200 for used Swampers). I ran it stock for over a year. The open diffs will be a hinderance from time to time, but you'll learn how to wheel with it. I added dual e-brakes (about $15) to help out some. If you go to lockers right away you don't learn what lines to pick and how to read a trail.

If this is your daily driver, I'd go 2.5" suspension lift and maybe 1" shackle lift, that should get you to clear 32's or maybe 33's, and I'd go BFG Mud Terrain all the way (great traction on the road, off-road, and wearability). Then wheel it and have fun. Forget the engine size, I still run the 4 cyl, I just love that little motor, and it'll move 33's, it's no speed demon on the road, but it'll get you around. Do the later mods one at a time, and know why you're making the mods. People can tell you until they're blue in the face, but you have to learn why. I've made some mods and not others, been glad I did, but I'm also glad I didn't follow some advice and did it "my own way". The stock jeep is also amazing, wheel it and learn it's limitations, then make the mods to overcome those limitations. Every time you break something, upgrade it to a stronger component. Above all, have fun.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:06 PM
WSB

Your probably correct about the axles. I personnally don't care from body lifts.
I would start out simple- mild lift, go for a trail ride, learn how to read to trail(s), learn which line to pick and how to drive them. Going with a locker
right away dosen't teach you how to drive a trail really. But that's could be a whole other topic.
Probably the easist and cheapist way to lift your Wrangler would be lift shackles, with a 1" to 1.5" lift shackle you should be able to fit 31's.
Might need new shocks? Sway bar disconnects would help. A good tow strap(looped ends, no hooks on the ends), Good tow hooks( no chessy chrome hooks) are nessecary.
Anyway I'm from the Hudson Valley area, I live in Hudson, NY not far from the columbia county airport. There are few places in the Green County area that we wheel. Most of the other places are in Western MA.
Send me a private message if your interested in going on a run.
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode