Hot Start Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hot Start Problem

Just got home from a night of Tail-gaiting, what a load of fun! During the night I had to move my Jeep maybe 15 times, and it never cooled off. Each time, the starter sounded like absolute crap on a stick. It would turn slow-fast-slow, then finally crank. After the football game, after it had cooled all the way, it started perfectly. No sounds, no problems.

I don't think it is the battery, it is a 6 month old Optima. The voltage is fine on the guage.

The starter is about 3 months old. I had a problem with the bolts loosening due to vibration, but some blue Loc-Tite fixed it.

Ed

Just
Expect
Every
Problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 01:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hot Start Problem

The starter could be on its way out...they will do that just before they die...my roommate's 4runner is doing it now...have you tried any kind of heat shield or do you have headers? Without a heat shield and with header will aggravate the problem further....

mikey

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, RS9000s, RS5000 stabilizer, BedRug, tows my CJ-7!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 08:09 AM

You could also check to see if the starter motor has a good ground, to be sure your getting the full 12 volts to the motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 10:11 AM

I had this problem with my toyota. new, battery, new starter. same problem. I ran a new negative cable from battery to starter bolt. Solve all problems

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 12:50 AM

I also would try to run a direct ground from the starter bolts to your nearest direct ground wire,or to the chassi,maybe you used a bit too much locktite causing a poor ground.
Or here is another theory I just thought of why jeeps in general develop starting problems
I know aluminum and its alloys oxadize like crazy I use to polish the rocker boxes on my sportster (harley) with jewlers rouge and they would look better than chrome for a few months then turn gray again OXADIZATION EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE ALLOYS CHROMED THE CHROME IS NEVER REAL STRONG.Also once I tried to take an alloy intake manifold off a landrover for the carbs also for my Harley.and the bolts were so oxadized I could barely get them out .....So what I am getting at is the starter and the bellhousing parts that mount together are made of alloys and the bolts being steel may be having a reaction to each other just enough to cause the ground to go bad or oxadizing ,at least that is when we notice it.
Now that I think about it my battery also grounds to a bolt running into my bellhousing ....another ( Kevin Bacon )alloy connection.
It would be kind if IRON-IC if we have been replaing starters because of a bad ground ....naturally after you replace the starter you reestablish the ground till it oxadizes again HUMMMMM just some latenight thoughts

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode