Swing UP tire carrier - FINISHED!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Swing UP tire carrier - FINISHED!!!

Still need to put the retainer pins in the back brackets and the rubber padding there too, but other that that it is finished.

Didn't take any pics of the smaller parts - back brackets for example, but if any one wants additional info, will be happy to provide it OFF LIST.

Don't think the tire carrier is going to be offered for sale for two reasons: 1) It is designed for the TJ only and 2) it makes the back seat useless, but if anyone wants to build one for themselves, I will furnish pics, measurements and suggestions. Contact me OFF LIST.

It works, it looks great and I think I will be happy with it. Learned that the holes in the roll bars can really be put to good use too without doing anything to the seat belts. Those holes are neat if you use them the right way.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-209167-SW-Fin-1.jpg (96.6 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:33 PM
WSB

Re: Swing UP tire carrier - FINISHED!!!

That's a sweet looking tire carrier! Unfortunately it renders the back seat useless. Other then that I like it.
Wayne

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, yes, I think I addressed that in my original post. After 61 years have finally discovered REAL potato(e) vodka, so wasn't real sure. Went back and checked. Sure enough, it was there. Now would be the perfect opportunity for you to get a brand new CBrack absolutely free or for the minimal charge of a million, three hundred, eighty seven dollars and 2 cents.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:52 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Doug, it looks like that worked out really well for you - good job [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Am I to understand you used only factory roll bar holes for that? that would make it rank even higher on the cool scale [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, everything is mounted to seat belt holes in the roll bars - including the back roll bars. Keep in mind this is a TJ. I don't know if older Jeeps have the same type holes. Basically what they are is a long nut "squnched" (technical term) into the roll bar. One side is slick - no threads, the other threaded. If you go in the UNthreaded side, you can pick up the threads on the BACK side. If you then insert a bolt that is a bit longer than the width of the roll bar, you can create a threaded stud on the side that was formerly used to mount something in the normal manner - bolt screwed into a threaded hole. Put a nut on the stud after mounting anything that was previously mounted, usually the shoulder portion of the seat belts. I used grade 8 bolts and nuts. Had to make the thread longer on the "store bought" bolts, however.

Have a look at the threaded holes in the roll bar. I think you will be surprised at their usability. The holes are two sizes, BTW. A 7/16x13 (I think 13 TPI is right. Don't remember for sure, but will check if you need the thread count) and a 10mm couse thread. Don't remember the thread count, but it is the coursest of the 3 metric threads. A very common size too.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 02:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone thought about the idea of mounting the Tire back there but have some sort of slide machanism that would allow the tire to be moved over the driver and passeger when the backseat was being in use.. Could Be a new Idea?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 02:47 AM

Very nice set up Doug, very nice.
Well thought out design.
Good center of gravity and weight distribution, and no tire encroaching into the angle of departure.
If someone didnt mind a higher center of gravity, they could probably still use the rear seat in a modified configuration, (although then they would lose the use of the sof or hard top), hey you cant have everything, life is full of compromises.
Again, "Great Job"

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 08:25 AM

that looks very nice, i like the idea and function of it alot.
looks like a very good job also.

Hmmm, how many projects can i have going at once?

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode