Warn 8274 broken bolts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warn 8274 broken bolts

I finally got around to taking the warn winch my dad gave me off the chev winch bumper. In the process 3 of the 4 bolts broke off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. The one I did get out was on the side opposite the gears. I was also able to drill the nut and split it with a chisel and then drill a hole in the stud and use an easy out to remove it. The fun started on the gear side of the winch. There isn't access to drill the square nuts and split them on this side. I tried drilling the stud and using an easy out but I succeded in breaking off the easy out[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

The problems are the nuts fit into a grooved slot so the nut and stud won't slide straight through and the housing is aluminum so using a torch is out. I haven't taken apart a winch before and was wondering how hard it is? I supose this would be a good time to fix anything or replace anything worn?? Is there somewhere I can find info on how to take the winch apart and rebuild it?

I guess the saying "the best things in life are free" only applies a little![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The happiest people don't have the best of everything
They just make the best of everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Warn 8274 broken bolts

Hey there,

I have never had my Warn 8274 apart but have wondered on how easy it was. I have heard that its no big deal.

Take a look at www.DSIWARN.com I have ordered parts through them and they have an exploded view of the winches. Maybe that would help.

Normally they aren't to hard to figure out. I have worked on a few but never the 8274.. (not yet...)

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you fit a metal cutting Sawzall blade in there and cut the broken bolt flush with the nut? I would go look at mine, but I didn't drive it today.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 07:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would use a die grinder to grind the bolt down until the nut can slide out.

The 8274 is really easy to work on with the exception being the brake. It usually requires a press to get it apart if it has not been disassembled for a while.

Dan
<font color=blue> "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing. "
-- AlbertEinstein
</font color=blue>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode