Wrangler Flares on a CJ questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wrangler Flares on a CJ questions

OK -

So I'm doing all this bodywork/repair to the CJ, and I figured now's the time to put on Wrangler fender flares for the rear. I had the stock round jobs, and they're all mangled, plus I had to whack some off of the lower rear area of the rear wheel well to fit 33's under full axle compression.

The Wrangler ones always looked alot bigger, and I figured I could cut out all of that metal with them, so I ordered some up from 4wd Hardware because they were cheap enough new.

Well, imagine my surprise when I discover that the backing of these just fits the same round hole! What's up with that? That's not really doing a whole lot for me as far as metal trimming of the body...

Do you guys just bolt these on as is and figure you get extra clearance on the outer area of the flare? This really isn't my issue as I have narrow track axles so the outer edge of my wheel is within that. OR - do you trim the rubber/plastic flare on the inner side so that you can cut alot of sheet-metal away.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about - I sound like a lunatic but I'll bet that other CJ owner's have pondered this when going to a Wrangler flair - I was all psyched up for this, but in their stock form, I don't see where I'm really gaining anything...

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wrangler Flares on a CJ questions

You have to go to a TJ Wrangler rear flare to gain any clearance. The wheel opening on a TJ is much bigger than the CJ/YJ. Good luck finding them though. I have been looking for a while and they are available, but very expensive.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why can't I just cut the back mounting area of the Wrangler flare down - wouldn't this give me the same thing? I think this is what I'm going to do.

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

While you are on the subject, has anyone put TJ flares on 'glass CJ fenders? All the write-ups I can find have steel fenders, and the Jeepers are cutting the inner fender and modifying it. Is this possible with the 'glass fenders?

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 01:44 PM

You can trim down the back edge of the wheel opening at least an inch and then pull the flare back to cover it. This is what folks did before TJ flares...the YJ flares hide the deformation from pulling them much better than CJ flares do.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did this to my CJ and was equally amazed. I left the flares out in the 100+ degree heat and cut the lip off that wraps under the metal. I cut it with anew blade on a box cutter and it worked great. Did this on the front as well YJ flares and bobbed the fenders at the same time. I got the YJ flares for free and although they aren't in perfect condition I think they look great. Got me through inspection.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry but I find it kinda amusing that you are hesitating to trim the plastic but had no problem cutting the metal, just trim the flare back and have fun

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey - I had no problem trimming the plastic - just wondered what everyone else was doing. So this weekend I trimmed the back edge so that it's just 1" all the way around - similar to the stock CJ flares. Now there's tons of room...

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode