One more question, dual transfer case question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

One more question, dual transfer case question

I have heard of running the front half of a NP203 and mating it upto a NP205. I need to know how. I am also curious if a GM NP203 will bolt upto a Ford NP205 or not?? If not, does anyone have a Ford NP203 lying around that they'd trade for GM NP203???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: One more question, dual transfer case question

i think offroad design is the company who sells the kit. i don't know there address but i do think they have a web site. you may do a search on the chevy board they may have discussed this.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 08:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

I am working on a 203 to Dana 300 now. I am tyring to copy the design from here.
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/waterman/tcase1.asp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 08:32 AM

i working on a np203/bronco Dana 20 dual case setup myself,
i made a page just about dual cases, it has 2 different 203/205 buildup links @ http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/2transfercase.html

this is a picture of the low range box off a NP203 by itself.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 08:40 AM

just curious, what are your plans for the adaptor? i'm slowly working on one myself, (but my NP231 just refuses to die)
i've got alot of thought on this topic, ie...
one oil system or two seperate, how much to "clock" the 2nd box, should i use a chrome skull head for the NP203 shifter knob or what?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 11:12 AM
Can't Get Enough

I already picked up three 203's for free from a friend at a local yard. I pulled all of them apart and sent the shafts to Moser for resplining. I also sent them the input shaft from the 300, so they would know what I was trying to do and make the resplinine correct. I deliberatly will have them splined a little longer than what will be needed, so I can just cut to the proper length.

One of these boxes will be a direct bolt to a 435, so there shouldn't be any adapters needed to the tranny side, and keep the original clocking. The other, which is from a dodge, will be attached to NV-4500. This one will be clocked about 90 degrees, so the shift slector will point straight up. I think that I can make linkage that will use the Dana 300's shift tower, and just add a twin stick design, but only use the second lever for the front case. I will have to drill an oil galley in the input retainer to match the original. The dodge 203 uses the circular 6 bolt pattern which is very close to the NV-4500, so redrilling the the extension housing of the NV-4500 shouldn't be a problem. I can't find a 203 case that has the same spline count as the 28 on the lightweight NV-4500 yet, I am still looking. I may have to have the larger NV-4500 (32 spline) spline output shaft cut to match, since I already have the shaft from a Chevy's NV-4500 from a core. The third 203 I have I am trying to just make a sandwich that will bolt in between another stock 203 (input and output the same)

The actual flat adapter plate that will go between the 300 and the 203 will be made by an unemployed machinest friend of mine (he made mountain bikes for a living) from a 2 inch thick piece of flat aluminum I found in a recycling yard for $85. I don't think that I have to worry about any sealing problems between the two cases, because Dana 300 has it's own input seal, the Dana 20 is a different story.

If I ever get any of these to work, I will post the results. I am not in any hurry, and plan on this as being a winter project.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 09:06 PM

find anymore of that 2" alluminum and give me a call[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
really that all sounds pretty planned out, i also am in no hurry to get mine complete. my current plan is to hook the "203 low range box" up to my Th350 i'm running now. but i've been dreaming about finding one of the rare (i think anyway) GM 203's that came behind the SM465's, i've heard it has a 10-spline input. (now i've got a 2wd SM465) but i think it would be very cool to hook it up to an SM420 (also 10-spling output)
Ah, just dreaming, but if anyone knows were there is this style 203 i would be interested.

do you have a name at Moser?, (ya know, someone that will know what i'm talking about when i call) i'll be sending my shaft there soon, also is it still about $85 a shaft?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode