Renix 4.0 to torqueflite tranny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Renix 4.0 to torqueflite tranny

I am getting all my ducks in a row for a 4.0 swap in place of an older 258. My problem is with the torqueflite auto tranny. I have been told that the renix flywheel will not fit in the auto bellhousing and this is leaving me in a quandry of how exactly to mount the crank position sensor. Has anyone out there done the Renix 4.0 swap into a jeep with a 904, 999, or 727?
If so how did you mount the crank sensor?
And lastly I understand Petersen's did an article about the swap does anyone know what month that was?
Thanks
-Jesse

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 08:47 PM

Re: Renix 4.0 to torqueflite tranny

How about using the 258 crank and flywheel in your 245? You'll even end up with a 275 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Renix 4.0 to torqueflite tranny

The Renix injection 4.0l never came with a Torque Flite trans, only the AW4 OD automatic. The later Mopar EFI was available with them, though, in ZJs and YJs. Unfortunately, the crank sensors work on a different principle (Hall effects, not magnetic impulses), mount differently and the flexplates have differently spaced notches in them. Until someone makes a dampner kit (like the Mopar Performance EFI kit) that is notched properly for the Renix system and accepts the proper sensor, the swap is not feasable.
Your best bet is to either try to mount the AX4 4 speed auto, which would require duplication of the XJ wiring of its trans controller, or switch to a manual trans. (The early and late manual trans sensors bolt on identically to the bellhousing, only the flywheel notches are different).

If you haven't purchased the engine yet, get a later model with Mopar EFI, the swap will be much easier. (you will need either the special 4.0L dampner kit or a later model trans out of a 4.0l YJ/TJ).

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode