Axle widths - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Axle widths

Sorry if this has been discussed before,I searched and came up with inconclusive info. Anyway, I plan on putting wider axles SOA on my 70 Jeepster and am unshure of the axle widths of my different options. I would like to know the widths of both the Grand Waggie 4 door axles and the scout axles, I can turn the knuckles on the scouts, but waggies are my first choice. Any one have pics of waggie axles on thier rigs? I do not want to look very wide, just stable. I am running 33x10.5's now but want to run 35's. One last question: On wide track CJ's it is the same body as the narrow track, just flares added? I am going to put CJ stock flares in front and modify some wrangler stock flares for the rear. Thanks for all your help.

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 01:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Axle widths

either scout or wagoneer dana 44's will work but if you want to just get 1 donor vehicle then get the scout. you'll have a hard time finding a narrow track with the pumkins in the correct location for you x-case unless you have a dana 18 and then just find a 70's model with the quadra-track x-case. the good thing about the wag front end is it has internal style hubs and the steering linkage is easily adaptible where as the scout has niether of these benifits. i run a scout front end in my jeep and i like the fact that the scout front and rear seem to be the same width where as the narrow track wag axles are 61" front and 59" rear.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 03:41 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

John:

Figures are from "Standard Catalog of 4x4's" and classified as tread width. If you can find a '74-'79 Cherokee, w/manual trans. it'll have a Dana 20 in it as your Jeepster has. Book shows 58.8" front and 57.5" rear for '74-'75, 59.2"/57.8" for '76-'79. If you find a '73 Wagoneer with either trans, it too has the Dana 20, but the front axle is a Dana 30. Widths for it are 57.3"/57.5".

'75-'79 Scout's had optional Dana 20's, (they called them TC-145's), along with front and rear Dana 44's. Width was 57.1"/57.1".

My Jeepster has Waggie 44's cut down to 56" front and rear. Close to what the '84 wide track CJ-7 specs of 55.8"/55.1" were. I used stock CJ front and YJ rear flares to cover the tread, (barely), on my 255/85R16 BFG MT's, which are similiar in size to your 33x10.50R15 BFG AT's.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 05:48 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The '75-'79 Scouts had the Dana 20 transfer stock, not optional, on their 4x4's. The 1980 had the Dana 300, which is rare but highly sought after. Scout axles can be found stock with 4.10's as well, not sure about the jeep axles.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 08:20 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Narrow track Wagoneer 44 front is about 60.5". The rear offset 44 is about an inch narrower.

Wide track Wagoneer axles (44 front 20 rear) are about 2"-3" wider than Narrow track 44 axles.

Scout II 44 fronts are about 60" wide, and the rear is about 58".

All of these measurements are wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flage (I hate it when people give backing plate to backing plate numbers -what good is that?). I just thought I would add these since the numbers above for "center tread width" make the axles seem narrower than they are [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As with anything though - measure for yourself before you buy!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 09:36 AM
Can't Get Enough

What about the spring perch on the front Wagoneer D 44? Will he have to off set his spring so the welded on plate does not hit the side of the pumpkin? Is it easier to use the Wagoneer '76 and '77 axles and mount them on a narrow track CJ? I am going to do this myself and am looking for advise,Thanks...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you go sping ove there is more room in the cast on the wag axle and it already had a spring perch cast into the bottom for a spring under with a 2 1/2 spring. the scout has a spring perch for a 2" spring made for a spring perch. i run a scout with a 2 1/2" spring in a spring over setup on my jeep and i have also built a jeep using the wagoneer front axle in a spring over setup. there will be less grindin on the wagoneer axle but the scout can be done too. where ever i've been i have seen very few manual/dana 20 wagoneers and the ones i have seen have all been wide track wich is too wide in my op. q-track wag's are a dime a dozen around here but they have the offset rear. when i help my buddy build his 87 wrangler we used the front from a narrow track wag but it had the q-track rear so we got a dana 44 from an 80's model that had the center pumkin for the rear. it work well but you have to find two different donors. this is why i like the scout 44's. yeah they have no caster but that is an easy fix. their knuckles take some work to design a steering set up that works but it can be done. either wag or scout axles will be a good swap but look around and see what you can find before you make up your mind on what you want.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:12 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

If you really want to know the easiest way to do it, you use a Chevy fullsize front 44 and cut down the long side to fit whatever long side Wagoneer, Scout, or other shaft that makes the axle the lenght you want. That gets you the short side already set up for spring over and you have to just weld on a standard perch on the other tube after you shorten it.

This lets you put the axle in just about any vehicle and not have to outboard the springs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:28 AM
Can't Get Enough

David, I was also checking along those lines. I found a D 60 front out of a chevy and was considering cutting down the driver side. Then, I also found a 14 bolt rear and would have to cut both sides down to match. I see that Moser does this for axles. It bothers me that I will have to be extremely accurate when telling them how much to cut off the axles...I found the D60 for $1500. This has been completely gone through and has 4.10 and a trac-lock. The 14 bolt he wants $450 for it. I will add a detroit to the rear, but replace the trac-lock when the money supply re-fills.
Does this swap make sense? Thanks...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

outboarding the sprinds is definatly cheaper and easier too.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode