shackel question... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shackel question...

okay,i just got done with my 3 inch body lift(i know,you told me it was to much)and it worked fine(had to get a new steering shaft as mine was frozen with rust,120.00,dealer,ouch).now i'm wondering about a shackel lift,can you give me the pro's and con's?I'll be gettin a "real" lift kit as soon as i can(probabely spring),but can i" get away" with this for a few mounths?
thanks
Matt

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:50 AM

Re: shackel question...

Its obviousely not the best way to get your suspension lift, but youve already stated that you are aware of that. So to answer your question, it will work fine as an interim lift, while your waiting for a good suspension lift. You wont get a lot of lift with a shackle lift but it will get you a little taller. You shouldnt have to worry about steering mods with a shackle lift either.
It sounds like you are getting quite a bit of elevation betwen you body lift and shackle lift, if you keep moving inthe same direction, youll need to address the whole lift set up as a whole in the near future. You are getting some advantages from the lifts as far as claerance for bigger tires and such, but you havent addressed the suspension as a performance modified issue with any of your mods to date.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:51 AM

Remind me not to drive anywhere near you.
Cut those body pucks at least in half and forget about the shackes and those cool 35's until you get a real spring lift with all the associated steering alterations to make for a safe ride.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 01:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

jaffer,
"remind me not to drive anywhere near you"
come on give the guy a break. when i first got my jeep over 10 years ago i couldn't afford a susp. lift at the age of 16. i worked all summer to save enough for a 3"body lift and a set of 33's. my jeep has come a long way since then but guess what.. it still has that same 3" body lift on it. i agree that if you have the means go another route but if that is all you can afford then go for it. in the 10 years i have had the body lift i have had no problems with it and my jeep has been wheeled hard and even rolled over in that time. all i am saying is lets not put this guy down if this is all he can aford right now.

as for the q about shackles i have read to not go anymore than a 1 1/2" shackle lift but i have had one of these and they do not handle well on the road. i have been in a jeep that had a 1" shackle lift that did ok so keep the shackle lift to a minimum.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 06:05 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Shackle lifts are fine in moderation. I also understand your position, and I don't think the 3" body lift is a bad thing. Heck, for us non-SOA people up here, I run a combination of them all, including about a 1.5" shackle lift, jeep handles fine, it's a jeep not a race car. I wouldn't go higher than 1.5" though, unless you run the bolts tight, then you lose some articulation. Go for it, if you don't like it, take it off. I made my own from 1/4" steel, but I'd probably go 3/8" and grade 8 bolts, can't get enough beef.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had 1.5" lift shackles on my wrangler for a while, but I would NEVER do it again. Why? Well first of all it didn't lift it enough to outweigh the bad things it did. The steering sucked, bumpsteer, wander, general instability, etc. The ride was quite a bit worse than stock too. I even tried loosening the bolts on the shackes, but it didn't help much. About the only thing good about them is how beefy they are built. On my CJ I'll be running some shackles of the same design as the lift shackles, just closer to stock height.
I would save up for a "real" suspension. If I have learned anything its that it has to work as a package, not just a series of add ons. This goes for the whole Jeep too...
Dan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 11:52 AM

Matt-
I wasn't trying to put you down, just drive a little sense into you.
Yes, you "can get away with" this, but should you try?
Let's see now, $120 for the new steering shaft (you would not have needed) and about the same for the body lift and shackles. That's about $250 so far. This is 1/2 the cost of a 4" SkyJacker spring set for an '87 YJ.
You ignored good advice about the tall body lift and might probably ignore advice against using a tall shackle too. Even though this forum and others are filled with shackle lift horror stories.
See where I'm going here ..
The wiser members here (even H8Monday expressed reservation and caution as to these mods) will tell you to try and do it right the first time, even if you have to wait a little while and work harder for the dough needed.
In the long run, it will be much less expensive to do it right in the first place and you will have a much better and much, much safer setup.
The thought of a tall shackle lift is enough to give me the 'willies', much less the shear factor vunerability of a 3" body lift.

You asked for opinions. And with good intentions... that's mine.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ive got a 2.5" spring lift and a 1.5" shackle lift on my 75 CJ and it drives super!! The shackle lift did screw with what caster I had (if any)...didnt notice it until I tried to tow the jeep and the caster problem arose!! Ill deal with it now I guess.
Actually, I put in some wedges last night to get some caster back. Ill try the towing out this weekend and see if it helped..if not the wedges are coming out.

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you like your U-Joints, i'd stay away from a shackle lift. Thiknk abou tit, with a longer shackle, you are effectively rotating the axle a few degrees. In the front, with a standard shckle setup, you will be tilting the pinion upward, eliminating caster. In the rear, you will be pointing the yoke upward as well, which may screw up your angles, wear u-joints, and cause vibrations. I'm not trashing on anyone, jus trying to be sure you know all sides of the coin. Good luck and have fun with whatever you do!!

mikey

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, RS9000s, RS5000 stabilizer, BedRug, tows my CJ-7!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the advice,and jaffer,no offense taken.Maybe i better explain the end goal of the yj.I live in north west Indiana,there is NO rock crawlin,just mud.I figure i need 7 inches of lift total,3 body 4 suspention(least thats what the boys at the mud drags say)to run 35's.But,hey i'm new to this,thats why i ask.I thought about a 6 inch sping lift,but could not find pitman arms or brake hoses,with out puttin the project on long term hold.Does this clear it up?If i'm still on the wrong track,please say so.All the mudder's round here are driving blazers and such,no jeeps.so i double check with you guys.
thanks
Matt

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode