COLORADO JEEP VACATION - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

COLORADO JEEP VACATION

THE FAMILY AND I ARE HEADING TO CRESTED BUTTE,CO. AT THE END OF THE MONTH AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS ON PLACES TO VISIT.WE ARE TRAILERING THE JEEPS OUT TO COLORADO W/ SEVERAL OTHER OFF-ROADERS TO DO A LITTLE TRAIL RIDING FROM CRESTED BUTTE, OVER THE MOUNTAIN, FINISHING IN CARBONDALE, CO. THIS IS ONLY GONNA TAKE ONE DAY SO WE HAVE SIX MORE DAYS TO PLAY AROUND WITH. ALSO ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT WE MIGHT NEED TO TAKE W/ US WOULD HELP. TIA

IF I BUY ANYMORE TOYS,I'M A DEAD MAN!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:53 AM

Re: COLORADO JEEP VACATION

Well,I wish I could tell you where to go, I just do not wheel around there though. Lots and lots of Jeep trails though, are you in for some hard core stuff or just plain fun trail riding stuff? I live in Vail about an hour away from Carbondale but wheel around breckinridge and holy Cross. Take the females to Aspen and let them shop, that is a for shure thing, and have fun! I will ask some friends that work at a 4x4 shop down near Carbondaleif they know of any places to wheel around there. As for other stuff to do it is sort of a dull time, no snow, windy, chilly,a bit of rain,but awsome sun sets and the aspens turning colors are pretty cool. Eveyone will be hunting, so be careful in the woods, some people are just plain stupid! (I'm an avid hunter, no tree hugger, just clarifying.) E-mail me to let me know where you will be, I might go wheeling with you if you are in Carbondale one day, hope you don't mind Jeepsters. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 09:00 AM
Can't Get Enough

I would think about picking up a copy of Well's book. the "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-wheel drive Trails". Get the first one, it has more info than his second book on this area. There are plenty of nice trails around there. You could possibily do a loop, south of the Butte, go over Italian Creek, to Taylor park, then over Taylor Pass to Aspen, then from Aspen, over Pearl Pass, back to Crested Butte. Pearl pass is awsome! Very pretty, goes well above tree line, and is only open about 4 in 10 years. This year it is very dry and easier than most.

Another pass that should be on the top of your list would be Schofeild Pass. This follows the Crystal River, to Marble. It is one of the most photographed sites in the state.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

dorfs hit the nail right on the head. That book has a lot of coverage for the area that you are going to. Pearl Pass is great and you should definitely do it since very few visitors get the chance. I wouldn't worry too much about the hunters. Black powder season is over Sep 17, archery is over Sep 24 and rifle seasons don't start until October 21. If the archers are still out there, they are a pretty safe bunch.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4WD adventures of colorado by peter massey and jeane wilson
check out this book,it is by far the best book i've found.
303 660 3307 800 660 5107 www.4wdbooks.com
later

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode