Scout frontend in a cj7? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scout frontend in a cj7?

Hi it is me again I saw on the for sale page a d44 out of a scout. It was right hand drop & 59.5 inches backing plate to backing plate wide. Would this be a good candiadate for a swap. I will be going wide track c7 in the rear.
John

88 XJ ltd some mods. 92 XJ quite a few mods. 98 TJ dad's & mine joint toy stock more or less . & now a beater 79 CJ7 soon to be a non beater I hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout frontend in a cj7?

I have a Scout frontend under my Jeep. I believe it is a little wider than a widetrack axle, Maybe an inch or 2. A better frontend would be out of a Wagoneer, again A little wider than a widetrack, but has better caster angles. I originally put mine togegher with the castor correct, it meant my pinion was pointing down. I decided to find out how it would drive with no caster, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since I am planing on going fullwidth soon, I will live with this problem for now, but if I wasn't, I would search for a Wagoneer axle to solve my problem.

Thanks, Ray

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

your caster problem is an easy fix. i run a scout dana 44 and i fixed mine by ginding out the welds around the knuckles and rotate the knuckes back to the desired caster angle and weld them back on. if you are interested in a more detatiled descripion shoot me a private message and i'll let you know the ins and outs.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 06:00 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I also run Scout axles. The front, if you run them full length, will have to be run with the springs outside the frame. It's easy to do, inexpensive, strong, and I have a writeup if you'd like. For the rear you're better off going with the Scout axle as well if it's cheap, do a search on this site for the reasons why. You might check junk yards as well for donor axles, Scout's were good but they had a tendancy to rust out fast.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

its less trouble to start with a wagoneer front axle, you get better alignment and easier to find parts for if you have to deal with the normal parts counter morons.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since I am a parts counter moron, I figured I would reply again. First, if the parts guy can't finds parts for your IH axle, he probably shouldn't be doing parts. Many parts people are in collage or highschool, and are doing it part time to get through school. I have been doing parts for 5 years, and still learn something new about it everyday, and I do it because I enjoy it, it is easier to get up and go to a job you enjoy. Second, I am sure there are morons in your chosen profession. Third, I doubt you would last one day where I work. I will give you a qwick rundown of a typical day, first hour, I try to get done what I didn't get to the day before. usually around 200 invoices a day,mostly comercial accounts. The rest of the day is spread out between answearing the phone, helping walkin customers, mixing paint, turning drums and rotors, making hydraulic hoses, checking in frieght and stocking shelves. We do not have a big crew, manager, 1 parts counterman, 1 outside salesman, 2 fulltime delivery drivers, and 1 part time driver. the smallest crew in this store ever, and the last 3 months have been record months. I don't mean to rant and rave, but I just had to vent.

Thanks, Ray

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 01:49 AM

see what youll have to deal with at the parts counter for SCOUT parts? ( attitudes) haha

its MUCH easier to get a wag axle to start with!

all of the parts will crossover to FORD or CHEVY stuff, so they are still there and still relatively cheap, not to mention the fact that there is NO CUTTING required on the axle.

ask Boston Mangler how his Scout front axle is going..

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 02:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Strange, My 78 Scout axle uses the same wheel bearing, the same rotors, the same seals, the same calipers, the same brakepads, as a 78 CJ. Same locking hubs too. Like I said before, If your parts guy can't get you IH parts, He or she better find a differant job.

Thanks, Ray

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 08:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the ball joints are the same also, the ONLY part that is unique is the 8 bolt spindle.. if you use a waggie axle, you have a bigger headache trying to remember what years of what vehicles you robbed parts from to get the right bolt pattern

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

now i can see having trouble finding some scout parts, but a front end? come on! i have been running my scout axle for quite a few years now and have neve had a problem finding parts. what parts would you need anyway? u-joints? bearinqs? seals? calipers? brake pads? i have gone to a run of the mill parts store and neve once have they not had these items in stock. the only thing that might be hard to get is the IH style locking hub and who wants that anyway? as for the original poster don't let parts scare you. the same parts are used on other vehickles and there is no shortage of them.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode