u-joint help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

u-joint help

hello everyone...first let me start by saying at best a have very little mechanical experience but that is why I bought a jeep, anyways on saturday I would like to attempt a bit more advanced of a project..I have a loose u joint on the front axle..and I want to replace it....what things need to be taken off, caliper, rotor, hub, axle?? any help is really appreciated?I need to sorta know the general procedure..this is on an 84 cj7 with a I6..is this a nasty one or a good beginner project?
trent

_________
|rent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: u-joint help

first the tire/wheel, next brake caliper (not necessary to remove the brake hose), then the locking hub, next remove the spindle nut's and washers, then the rotor/hub assy, then the nuts that hold the spindle on, next the brake caliper mounting bracket and the spindle. when all this is removed you should be ablr to pull the axle out. some times the spindle can be a pain to remove so use a rubber mallet or i prefer a rubber dead blow hammer, and hit the out side of the spindle in different places to get it to move. also make sure the knuckles are staight to pull the shafts out. i hope this helps.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

this is a great starter prodject. take off the hub with the outside bolts, then snap ring, then spindle nuts.. rent or buy a spindle nut socket because they are huge. once the brakes,wheel bearings, and rotor is off the jeep, use a good rubber mallet and hit the spindle up and down unil it starts to come off... it takes some doing sometimes. when the spindle is laying next to the rotor on the ground, grab the axle shaft and simply pull it out. Take the axle shaft to a vice and remove the inner c-clip snap rings holding the u-joint in with a hammer and screwdriver.now the hard part.. use a large brass drift and drive the bearing cup as far down as the u-joint allows. then turn the axle over and hit the bearing cap that is 90 degrees from the one you just hit(driving the u-joint down).repeat until you can get a vice-grip on the bearing caps and work them off. Now is a good time to upgrade to the warn axle-shafts. or, use a GOOD u-joint(I like NAPA's super joint). to install the joint, take 2 caps off opposite each other... then put the joint into the axleshaft, hold it as far one way as you can, and slide the cap on it...making sure none of the bearing rollers fall into the bottom of the cup. hold the joint into the cup while you tap the bearing cap all the way down so you can put the other one on in the same manner..center the joint and install the clips.. you'll probably bend one and have to use one of the old ones(you didn't throw them out did you??) grease it very well...then use a paint marker and put a line across it from the axle ears across the joint.. look at your line on occasion.. if it ever moves, replace the joint or you will experience catastrophic failure. install everything else except the dust shield for the rotor.. throw that useless chunk of crap away... hope this helps...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you beat me to it BA......

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

haha! really though, you went into greater detail which is something i don't do too well.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, the other guys did a very good job of describing what needs to be removed to accomplish this project. Don't worry though, it's really not very difficult. Just lay the parts out as they come off, and everything should bolt back together without any problems. Here's another re-cap of everything that you will be removing:

1: Outer cap for the four-wheel drive lock-out hubs...should be 5 or 6 small allen-screws holding it on.
2: Snap ring on the end of the axle shaft (need snap-ring pliers or equivalent).
3: Four-wheel drive lock-out hub housing...held on by 5 or 6 9/16" bolts.
4: Outer spindle nut (as previously stated, you'll need a spindle nut socket for this).
5: Washer...might have an ear bent over onto the inner spindle nut that will need to be straightened before removal.
6: Inner spindle nut.
7: Brake caliper assembly...don't remove the hose, just take the whole assembly off and tie it up out of the way.
8: Hub/Rotor assembly...should be one piece, but be careful, an outer wheel bearing will come off with this, don't let it drop and hit the ground, be prepared to catch it.
9: Dust shield for the rotor.
10: Caliper mounting plate.
11: Spindle...this might take some work and lots of penetrating oil.
12: Slide the axle assembly out, and remove the u-joints and c-clips as Elusive explained.

Assembly is in reverse order. While they are out, inspect and re-pack the wheel bearings with fresh grease along with putting some new grease in the hub/rotor assembly. And finally, lightly coat the inside mechanism of the lock-out hubs (I assume you have lock-outs, right??) with some fresh grease as well to maintain easy operation. There you have it, an excellent project to tackle. Once you do it once or twice, you'll be an old pro! Good luck!

--Digger--

http://www.users.uswest.net/~ascanlon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode