crazy Jeep ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

crazy Jeep ideas

I sitting here daydreaming about my next Jeep build-up...I want a big block chevy with a strong manual tranny, but I don't know what transfer case. Ideally I would like one that can be 2wd, 4hi, 4 lo, and full time 4wd. Does something like this even exist? And if so can it handle the torque of a built big block?
Dan
PS-don't ask why I want a big block in a Jeep, I already know I am crazy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 02:26 PM

Re: crazy Jeep ideas

Jeep Cherokees (XJs) come with Select-Track (Optional on Classic, standard on Limited) which denotes the NV-242 transfer-case. It has 2wd, full-time four wheel drive, part-time four wheel drive, and part-time four wheel drive low range.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Finally, it runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need to get ahold of an all chevy drivetrain.The 205 tcase is the strongest,but isnt full time.They also came with np203's which are full time but have no 2-wheel without a conversion.205's are gear to gear.203's and 208's are chain driven, and I dont think they would hold up to long with a big block..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 03:41 PM

Here's an interesting article about the NP203 transfer case (which is nearly as strong as the NP205 if you use the proper lube in it (10W40 motor oil)), and the article discusses the part time kit also... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I have a 203 in my 79 'burb which incidentally also has a big block and the 203 seems to be holding up great... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/mm-np203/

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best case senerio for you might be to buy a wrecked Chevy or GMC pull the whole matching unit out and install it in your Jeep

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess 203's are kinda strong, but my Dad hasn't has the greatest experiance with them. Burnt two out in one winter in his jimmy. His 208 has hald up far better. Maybe it was just those two different transfer cases. The 205 seems to be much stronger than both. Low range is similar, only difference is one is full-time chian and the other part-time gear. One more thing, them 203's are great big suckers, and the weigh a ton!

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode