anyone use an AGR steering box? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

anyone use an AGR steering box?

I'm looking into the variable ratio box and have a few questions. Does it give a tighter feel, or make it more responsive? Is it worth the cash? I need to do something cause my box is too sloppy. I tried adjusting it, but that just made the wheel more difficult to turn.
Tia

Lugnut 77 cj5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: anyone use an AGR steering box?

Jaffer is, get ahold of him, we went wheeling this weekend and he was raving about its performance.
His webpage http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 01:43 PM

Yeah I bougth one and it works great . i got the street version for a 91 wrangler. i think it took out a lot of slop . but I also replaced all my ball joints got rid of the original tie rods for a M.O.R.E. steering kit and got a new steering shaft with a damper built in ( not cheap) also the tomken box brac wont fit on a agr without being modified, wish someone had told me that . It drives pretty good now, only thing left to replace is the bearings.I would go for it , but keep in mind to check other sources for slop.

91 wrangler 4.0 SOA,All borla,jet chip,rancho 9000s in cab random tech, M.O.R.E. steering kit, K&N, accel coil,sloted drilled rotors,four wheel disc, add a leaf,wrangler dual bat in cab optimas,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 02:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

try another box.. most of those saginaw's are the same.. look at the casting number on it.. and match it up.. yj wranglers and tj are pretty dang close..
i have a wagoneer box on mine.. but if you decide to go that route.. look at the splines on it.. with my wagoneer box.. i had to use the wagoneer rag joint.. i just welded it onto the end of my cj steering shaft.. and for the lines i used the cj lines.. and cut the flare of them.. and took the nut from the wagoneer lines and put them onto the cj lines.. and then reflared them.. works great... and its atleast half the cost..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 02:39 PM
Veteran

I purchased & installed an AGR box (& pump) in July for my '85 CJ7. I think it is an improvement, but certainly does not make the steering "tight". All in all I am satisfied, just make sure that you TIGHTEN THE STEERING BOX BOLTS TIGHTLY! we also got a brace for it from Leon Rosser for $39.95, I would highly recommed purchasing this Our bolts weren't tight enough, they loosened & we started to float all over until we realized what was wrong, after tightening it improved & after the brace it improved again. We also installed the Borgeson 1 piece shaft at the same time. Overall, the steering is much smoother, very smooth on the trails, but the steering wheel is not "tight" as new trucks or jeeps are, but then again it is a CJ. Its a lot of $$ though, just like anything else, prioritize. Our existing box was shot, so that helped justify the cost for us. It was not hard to install. It is a pretty box & matches the con-ferr shackles on the front of my jeep.

I attached a pix of our jeep from this past weekends, my husband is driving.

Just my $.02

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-208156-rickCJlaborday.jpg (71.5 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 02:40 PM
Veteran

FYI, it was the variable box we got also, forgot to tell ya

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Agreed, I got the AGR and a brace. The brace is an absolute must. If you don't believe me get everything all nice and tightend up and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth a few inches while you are watching the steering gear. It will move

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have the Super Box II. Works great but much more into cheaper fixes now. Would definitely try a TJ or Waggie box for now. No brace on mine and no problems yet gues I'll try watching it while someone turns it tomorrow.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 03:17 AM
jeepfreak

I was reading somewhere that if you get a steering box from a 76 camero that it is a direct bolt up and it is the heavy duty type. The only difference is the end connections are not the same. have to get new lines made. But I think this is the route that I am going to go. It alot cheaper. If you do a search power steering there was a post week or two ago that had better info.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

TIS BETTER TO HAVE JEEPED AND ROLLED THAN NEVER TO HAVE JEEPED AT ALL...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode