304, rebuild or buy??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

304, rebuild or buy???

First, I wanna thank everyone that answers mine and other posts on a constant basis. Even though the same questions have been posted a million times. I've learned alot from this and many other forums. Thanks!

Any damn way............ I wanted to get opinions on what I should do with the 304 I'm gonna drop in the '7.

Should I "rebuild" or buy??? I called a local shop that said they would install a new Jasper engine for $3500. Sounds a little high to me, but it DOES have a warranty.

Obviously, rebuilding would be cheaper(?) but without a warranty.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 304, rebuild or buy???

a reputable rebuild shop will give a warranty and you'll have a better engine all around.. especially if you give him $3500...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello Harold.

Good question. And one that I will be faced with in the not too distant future. I haven't really investigated this yet, but I have wondered if anyone has tried the engines offered by Quadratec? Any pros or cons on these? Who really makes them, and are they rebuilt with quality parts?

I'll be watching this string to see what comes in. Again, a good question.

Thanks. George

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have one of the engines from quadratec. They are actually rebuilt by a company called ATK engines. They have a website, I forget what the address is though. I liked their warranty and I was very impressed with the fact that they got my engine to me in only 2 days. So far it runs great, however the farthest the Jeep has moved is in the driveway so who knows about long term. I'll tell you what I think about everything once I rack up some miles.
Dan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 12:58 PM
Way Outta Control

Jasper does make a good engine... and for the cost, they'd better. Go out to the Jasper Web page:

http://www.jasperengines.com/frames.html

There you'll find the details of what they do as opposed to other rebuilders. This Yahoo search should let you find most of the national rebuilders and be able to comparer what you're getting:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Eng...i&h=c&g=0&n=20

In most cases, you're getting this years jelly in last year's jars. Compare warranties, as well as what's replaced. Rebuilds differ drastictly.

Also visit Jaffers page, he has an excellent review by Tim Weaver (and a link to his page!) that apply to locally rebuilding 4.2L engine, but in reality apply to any rebuild

http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/TimsEngBuild.htm

Don't forget to get a hold of CJDave and have him tell you about the speciality oiler for the 304. Do your research and you'll make the right decision given the right information

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why not rebiuld it yourself and get the experience along with the satisfaction of doing it yourself.Warrentees are nice,but you dont learn anything and your out 3500.00 smackers.You could rebuild it like 3or4 times for that!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode