Need help with replacing slave cylinder... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Need help with replacing slave cylinder...

So should I be okay replacing my slave cylinder myself? How hard is it really? What tools will I need? I have a 250pc tool set. I'm gonna buy a torq wrench and rent a tranny jack. Anything else at all? Any tips or things to watch out for? Where should I buy the slave from? NAPA? Baxter's? Carquest? What's the best advice you can give me? I'd really love to hear anything and everything you have to say... Thanks so much!!

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:55 AM

Re: Need help with replacing slave cylinder...

It's hard to beat NAPA parts. Even their slave cyl. rebuild kit are superior to those at AutoZone and Checker. You will need a brake tool to help get the springs on and off. Just use the opposite wheel as a diagram so you put the shoe assembly back together properly. Brake work is sometimes a knuckle buster and if you aren't careful you will have to reinstall the pads over if you confuse yourself as to which way the components go. Pay particular attention to the difference in the leading vs. trailing brake shoe and note the sequence of disassembly and try to reverse the order for easy reassembly.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jaffer,
I think he means the clutch slave cylinder. You're thinking of a wheel cylinder. Sorry jamgood, I have nothing to add. My clutch has mechanical linkage and I've never been exposed to a hydraulic clutch on a Jeep.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:20 AM

See there, Jammie-
You already learned something.
Try to be more specific.
My clutch has both master and slave cylinders and so does my brake system.
I don't think a hydraulic clutch release bearing has a 'cylinder' but an earlier Jeep clutch system has one which pushes on the arm and actuates a mechanical release (throw out) bearing.
I'm not tring to be too technical or mince words.
Just trying to make the point (that all posters learn after a while) and caution new members to try and give as much and as specific of info possable to recieve accurate and good replies.
So, just jump on in there Jammie...
I should have noted the clue about the trannie jack but many of these are dual purpose nowadaze - at least that's the type I'm buying next!
In the case of replacing the release bearing, I have a couple of words ...
Try and have someone (or even two - one on the jack) with you when you are dropping and reinstalling the trannie and TC.
And, if the jack's pads don't seem to hold these with absoulute stability, throw some cargo straps over them and cinch them down to avoid an accidental drop which can be damaging to both man and machine.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

I just did this on my 87 Cherokee. I recommend having someone there to help. Did you confirm that the clutch is new? I think my complete clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing (slave cylinder) was about $150 from NAPA.

My 87 was totally coated in grease and grime. This really slowed me down because some of the bolts were hard to find. Clean it up as much as you can before hand.

With a tranny jack, you should be able to remove the tranny, transfercase and skidplate as an assembly. On my Cherokee, I wanted to clean the tranny up, so I removed the crossmember and removed the tranny and transfer case together. I still had to jack the vehicle way up to get them out from underneath. The two of them together were very heavy and cumbersume to move around. If you leave the entire assembly on the tranny jack and just seperate it from the engine far enough to change the slave cylinder you should be alright.

I purchased a tranny jack from Northern Hydraulis for $65. It came in handy because the shifter was siezed in the tranny, so the jack supported the tranny for several days while I tried to get the shifter out (you should not have this problem). The tranny jack was defective, it would bind up when you tried to raise the tranny. I managed to get to work and returned for another one as soon as I was done.

The upper two tranny to engine bolts are torx (male), you need a torx socket (female) to remove them. I bought regular hex head bolts at my local TrueValue to replace them. They are also hard to reach. I used two tips I learned on this board to remove them. Use several extensions so your far enough back to get some room and tilt the engine/tranny down to get a better angle.

Make sure you have a good manual. I tried to follow a JP magazine article on changing an XJ clutch, but they left a lot of details out. Haynes or Chiltons should be OK.

I have done a few clutches, mostly front wheel drive. This was my first four wheel drive. I wouldn't say it was easy, but it is doable.

jerry

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 07:41 AM

it might be easier to get to those upper enigne to tranny bolts from inside the jeep, IF you have a removeable section of floor around the shifters.

then get just get an aextension on your socket ( everyone needs bunches of extensions:short-longer-LONGER) and pull em out.

if they are TORX like the other guy said, be prepared to follow up this product with some good sunday goto meeting place time.

and by all means replace them with a normal fastener!

see if you can borrow a MightyVac hand vac pump to bleed that thing too, I cant see how your supposed to bleed an internal slave mechanism, unless you pre-bleed before assembly, but Ive never messed withone either.

good luck!

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe that the upper bolts need an E10 Torx socket, use a swivel on the end of the long extension to get them. They are grade 8, and actually are easier to get the socket on and remove than are regular bolts, they won't strip if you use the proper socket.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode