anyone run dift size/style tires in front and rear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

anyone run dift size/style tires in front and rear

I was wondering if anyone runs different types of tires on the front and rear of their vehicle. I was looking at different tires and it seemed like having some big ass lugs like boggers on back would be good then have something like TSL's on the front which would have (maybe?) more turning control. Also, would there be any advantage to running different width tires? I ask for interest sake since I have noticed that many Super swampers come in multiple widths with the same height.

CJay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 03:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: anyone run dift size/style tires in front and rear

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Er.....ah...CJay......even when my moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]are completely crocked on brew they would have sense enough not to do that. YOU MUST have identical TURNS PER MILE on the tires all way around. Now this is not to say that you could not FIND some tires of different widths to match up in the turns per mile department, but what I'm saying is that you have to MATCH them up. The turns per mile is usually listed in the catalog, so start with that, find some good matches, and you'll be fine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 07:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you see it a lot on the southern hybrids.. they run like 40's on the back and 38's on the front with different gearing.. i prefer to carry only 1 spare tire though..

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:02 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Interco actually designed their tires so they could do this. Their 33's and 34's, for example, are the same size, and in their literature, the mention running the 33's in the front and dually 34's in the rear. The same with the 38.5's, running dual 38.5"x11" Boggers in the rear and the 39" Swampers up front. I was thinking of it, and I have seen people run the Boggers in the rear and Swampers up front, but mainly on mud rigs. Been toying with the idea of this on a trail rig, but haven't convinced myself yet.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Dave,

I understand the need to have the same height(gearing gets eaten if not) but I guess I was wondering more about style types or widths like a 12.5" wide tire in rear and maybe a 9.5" in front. It would seeme to look wierd but maybe have some advantage.

Jay

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:13 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Well, here's one for you. I used to have a CJ5 with a full-width Scout II front & narrow-track 44 rear. The front was not only wider, it was geared differently (3.54 vs. 3.73 in the back). So, I ran 38X12.50 TSL's up front on 15X10" rims & 38.5X16 TSL's in back on 15X15" rims. The horizontal diameter of the front tires was 36" even & the rears were right at 37". Believe it or not, this worked really well, but this was for a competition mud machine. The skinny/fat thing is pretty common with mud guys. The want the skinnies to keep them straight, but run the fats in the back so they don't overpower their tires (only a problem if you have a lot of ponies under the hood). And the Swamper/Bogger combo has its logic also. In deep mud, Boggers have a tendancy to head for China when momentum slows where TSL's will continue to pull you forward. So, a lot of guys run same-size TSL/Bogger combos. But, these vehicles are not street driven, nor used at slow speeds under high-traction situations. I suppose you COULD drive around like this, but definitely NOT with a full-time transfer case.

BTW, 38.5" Boggers are considerably smaller than 39.5" Boggers, and while I've seen this setup with the dual skinnies on back & single fatties on front, I wouldn't recommend it. And to take it a step farther, I'd never put 39.5" Boggers on the front of a full-sized mud machine either.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can run different styles, types, widths as long as they are the same highth. i have seen a few people with tsl's in front and boggers in the rear.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 04:57 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I run 35x15 TLS in the rear and 36x12.5 SX in the front. The rear tires give me a little more stability, and the fronts not only allow me to turn easier, but they have the side lugs to get me out of alot of situations.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://dreamwater.com/ironpines/
http://www.hagars4wd.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode