Q-TRAC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Q-TRAC

I AM ABOUT TO REPLACE THE CHAIN IN MY Q-TRAC AND AM WONDERING IF I SHOULD GO TO PART TIME WHILE I AM AT IT ?
ALSO WOULD IT BE WORTH MY WHILE TO SWAP IN A DANA 18 ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Q-TRAC

just my opinion but i would go with the dana18. i'm sure others will dissagree but like i said my personal op.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If all you need is a chain then replace just the chain. I converted mine to pt and had to learn how to drive on
snow and ice again. Also remember that youv'e got a offset rear axle. It would be a costly conversion to go to
a different transfer case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

lind, the dana18 is offset like the q-track.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 03:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]] My moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]is suggesting that you check the differential and if the inner splines are real good, then do the open-center conversion on your own differential. That will free up your Jeep for better fuel mileage and good snow driving as well.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a crazy idea.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only way to put a Dana 18 behind a Q-trac-type TH400 is with the Advance Adapters kit which requires a complete tear-down of the auto-tranny by a shop to replace the mainshaft. This will cost you over $1000 once you add up the cost of the kit and the work - if you're lucky - not a good plan.

My advice to anyone in this boat is to get rid of the whole 9 yards and swap in a T-18 or T-19 with a 6.32 first gear and a Dana 18. You're going to have to pull the tranny out to have the mainshaft replaced anyway. This is what I did and it's the ticket.

The whole Q-trac setup sucks for hard-core rock-crawling (and just about everything else) - I'll take a granny 4-speed and a gear-driven transfer case any day off-road (and on)...

Chuck Hadley
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

amen!!!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LOL,,,I cant let those last two statements pass un-challenged,,,,, Just my opinion mind you, but, I love my Q-trac,,,I will say I've never climbed the big stone like you fellows out west,,,but I've done a lot of " big" rock crawlin.....having driven both an auto and a stick,,,,,I'll take my TH400 and my q-trac with reduction any time...you can keep the stick. theres a lot to be said for having that auto power on a steep incline. For the type of country I have here,,,you'll never convenice me a stick is any better than my auto......

DrummondCJ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i know it is all personal opinion but i do prefer a stick and gear driven x-case. i too wheel in steep area's. ever been to clayton ok? i agree it can get tricky some times but i have gotten pretty good at useing 3 pedals with two feet and i have a hand throttle in the works that will eliminate that problem. i also prefer the manual for things like failed brakes. i mention this because it happened to a guy i know this past weekend in clayton coming down a steep hill. he sure was glad that he had a stick, especially since he had disconected his e-brake cable. believe me i am not downing your op. i'm just stating mine.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It's like comparing apples to bananas. In snow, an unlocked QT is superior and that's why we have one. On a straight pull in deep mud; loaded heavy; throttle down and all four churning; I prefer our GM 3/4T 350 SB with the SM465 setting the speed and the NP 205 doing the division. Nothing like gear-driven boxes for transmitting brute HP hour after hour.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode