How to get fill plug out of AMC 20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

How to get fill plug out of AMC 20

Okay, so the time has come for the rear gear oil to get changed, but when I looked at the fill plug it seemed to have a very strange pattern to it. Am I just missing something obvious or what?

Thanks

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How to get fill plug out of AMC 20

Mine took a 3/8" allen wrench. It took awhile to dig all the crud out of it. I then when to Auto-Jerks and got a magnetic fill plug that I could get a Wrench on.

Hope that helps

Lunatic
(O|||||||O)
Are you having fun yet????
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be very careful, you will strip that stupid thing out, then end up having to do what I did to get it out...weld a bolt to it. Then throw it as far as you can and go down to the store and get a real plug, you know, the plumbing type with a square head you can actually put a wrench on. Oh, and good luck. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DO NOT strip that thing out!!! Use a manual impact driver to remove it once you've given enough time for PB blaster to do it's work. Dig around the plug with something sharp to give the break free a place to go. I believe it is a hex head of some sort. Get the right one in a socket form (ie one that will fit on the end of a manual impact driver) and hammer away. I've removed several of these on people's rigs and the first was the worst...had to drill the POS out.

84 CJ-7/258,Weber 38,Jacob's Omni Mag,flowmaster,3.5" SL,32" BFGMT, Superior 1 peas
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 05:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have a better way.. take all the torx out..you'll probably have the use a chisle on most of them... then throw away the torx and put stainless steel bolts in instead. while the cover is off, you can get fancy and tap a hole for a drain plug into the cover

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

So basicaly, it sounds like I should just take it to a quick lube and let them do it. I don't want to mess around with something like this, especially since I have to work on it parked on the street or an empty parking lot since I'm now at school.

Thanks for the help guys

Sean

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

taking it to quick lube will probably do 1 of 2 things:

1-They tell you they cant do it, mainly because they are afrai to break it.

or

2- They will tell you they will do it and break and then you will have to go through the claims hassle.

What i would do:

Leave what is in the for a few more days, go to a boneyard or somewhere and get another diff cover, very carefully remove the plug (buy a new one) and then if all goes well swap the covers if all doesnt go well at least you dont get thrown out of school for causing a hazard waste spill

My .02

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R (kinda), Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, York, etc...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

The plug isn't on the cover, it's a AMC 20, the plug is on the front side, facing the front of the vehicle. Can I get to it from the inside if needed? What a pain in the ass.

I'm renaming my Jeep: P.O.S.

Thanks

Sean

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 08:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ok this is what you do.. find a 4x4 shop.. or a auto shop.. or a metal shop.. some place with a welder.. go up real nice like and ask them to weld on a bolt to that thing.. if anything.. they will charge you like 5 bucks.. so they can get a six pack on the way home.. then drive home and wrench it off.. and like mentioned above.. put a real plug in that thing.. with the square head sticking out..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The best place to put a drain plug on the model 20 is in the bottom of the casting, just before the lower rib. Use a steel 1/8th pipe plug, with a hex head or a allen head. The next time you remove the cover for service, drill and tap the hole. It makes fluid changes much easier!

P.S. A little liquid teflon pipe sealer on the fill and drain plug threads makes removal much easier the next time, and prevents leaks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode