Elusive - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Elusive

Hey Elusive,

When you had your Scout cut 3" did you end up using 2" CJ springs or 2 1/2" YJ springs?

THanks

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, Hi-Steering, York, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Elusive

actually i used my old cj springs because they are skyjacker 4" lift springs. I love how they flex after 5 years of sag.....they seem to fit a bit better too because i didn't have to grind as much of the housing...the perches and shackle reversal were both made so that i could use either spring though...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DAMN!!!!

That is what i was afraid you were going to say!!! While you and i were chatting how to do the swap i never mentioned that i was using YJ springs which are 2 1/2" wide versus the CJ 2" wide (My Fault) and the YJ springs wont fit in the center and hit the Diff by about 1/4" maybe a little more. This is totally my fault and solidifies my idea of bringing the truck home to work on it from now on.

Thanks Elusive (i learned my lesson)

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, Hi-Steering, York, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you are going spring over you can make it work. i run cj rears on the front of my jeep and i made them work. there is quite a bit of grinding envolved but it can be done. i have also put one in a yj with a spring over and the stock springs.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

not to worry, theres plenty of meat there,, just grind into the housing a bit.. jeepgod did on his and it's still way plenty strong... i think high5 used wrangler springs on his too... relax.. it'll work itself out...or you'll just send me the 44.. I could use a spare...
really though,, just grind the housing..plenty of room...
let me know what you do for steering.. my set up has bump steer,.....

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

does either one of you have good pics of you diff and the grinding? Mine looks VERY close to the limit i think.

thanks

Boston Mangler
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am spring over (or trying to be) with a Scout Front 44 and YJ springs

Boston Mangler
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no pic's and you couldn't tell if i had any. you might be able to if i took out my front end but not going to do that. just go out and play with it. hold the spring up to the desired location and see how much needs to be removed. it will be one of those grind, fit, grind, fit kina things. you never said if you were spoa or spua but it might bemore difficult with spua but i'll have to go look at mine.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Brian,

I guess you havent been followin my very crappy situation. My rig is in New Haven CT at a friend house (nice garage) and i live in Salem Mass (2.5 hours away). I only get to work on it on weekends and the BBS has been a HUGE help

Thanks

Boston Mangler
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i guess i could have read your signature it tells that you are spring over.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode